1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphism of quotient group

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be the group of real numbers under addition and let N be the subgroup of G consisting of all the integers. Prove that G/N is isomorphic to the group of all complex numbers of absolute value 1 under multiplication.

Hint: consider the mapping f: R-->C given by f(x)=e^[2pi(ix)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So this says that a subgroup of Z is normal in R.
    G/N is the quotient group of left cosets of N in G.
    And I want to prove that G/N is isomorphic to (a+bi)(c+di) <---not sure if this is what I want to prove...but if it is then...it equals ac+adi+bci-bd= +/- 1
    Which implies
    ac+adi+bci-bd=ac-bd=+/- 1

Am I thinking of this right so far?

I'm not sure how to use the hint.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hint gives you a function from R to C. You want a function from R/N to some subset of C, however. Can you construct such a function from the given one? Can you prove it is an isomorphism?

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    The given function is cos2(pi)x+isin2(pi))x...I'm not sure how to construct a mapping for this....I'm pretty lost.

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you notice anything special about f, such as say, if it's a homomorphism (between appropriate groups)..?

6. Oct 9, 2008 #5
    Between appropriate groups? But how is G/N defined in this problem...I don't understand.
    I know e^(2pi)(ix) = cos2(pi)x+isin2(pi)x...

7. Oct 9, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f is a homomorphism between G and the group of all complex numbers of absolute value 1 under multiplication.

What's its kernel?

8. Oct 9, 2008 #7
    The kernel is all the elements of the image of the mapping?

9. Oct 9, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The kernel is the set of elements in G that get mapped to the identity.

10. Nov 27, 2011 #9
    What it means for a complex number to have absolute value 1, is: given $a+bi \in \C$, we say that $a+bi$ has absolute value $1$ if $a^2+b^2 =1$.

We can see that the function in your hint, $e^{2\pi (ix)} = \cos{2 \pi x} + i\sin{2 \pi x}$. This function is well-defined, as it maps elements of $G/N$ to elements of $\C^*$ ($\C^*$ is the group of complex numbers of absolute value 1) with an absolute value of $1$ because $\cos^2{x}+\sin^2{x} =1$ for all $x$

Now:

To show $\phi$ is a homomorphism, let $x,y \in G/N$, and
    \begin{align*}
    \phi(x+y) &= e^{2 \pi [i(x+y)]}\\
    &= e^{2 \pi(ix) + 2 \pi(iy)}\\
    &=e^{2 \pi(ix)}e^{2 \pi(iy)}\\
    &=\phi(x)\phi(y)
    \end{align*} and so, we see $\phi$ is a homomorphism.

To show something that is injective or surjective is fairly straightforward so I'll leave that to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?