1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphism proof

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\phi[/tex]:G-->G'
    Let [tex]\phi[/tex] be an isomorphism. Prove that [tex]\phi[/tex] maps the e identity of G to e', the identity of G' and for every a[tex]\in[/tex]G, [tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=[tex]^\phi(a){-1}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We have an isomorphism, therefore one to one, onto and has a homomorphism.
    Phi is one to one therefore [tex]\phi[/tex](x)=[tex]\phi[/tex](y), implying x=y.
    Then [tex]\phi[/tex](G)=[tex]\phi[/tex](G') implying e=e'.
    Now [tex]\phi[/tex](a*[tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=[tex]\phi[/tex](a)*[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]a^{-1}[/tex]) is what we want to prove.

Now I get stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2
    For the first part try
    [tex]\phi(e)=\phi(ee)=...[/tex]

[tex]\phi(e)=\phi(a a^{-1})=\phi(a)\phi(a^{-1})=e[/tex]
    Now what do you know about inverses?

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    [tex]\phi[/tex](e)=[tex]\phi[/tex](ee) implies e=ee
    [tex]\phi[/tex](e)=[tex]\phi[/tex](a[tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=[tex]\phi[/tex](a)[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]^a{-1}[/tex])=e
    I think I understand where all this comes from and I know a[tex]a^{-1}[/tex]=e

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4
    Firstly no it doesn't, try using the homomorphic property and then cancel.

On the second one you found one inverse for [itex]\phi(a)[/itex], use the uniqueness of the inverse. Sorry my post is a bit confusing, use the second equation for the second part.

6. Mar 30, 2009 #5
    Sorry, I'm blanking on what a homomorphic property is. Is that f(xy)=f(x)f(y)?
    so [tex]\phi[/tex](e')=[tex]\phi[/tex](a[tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=[tex]\phi[/tex](a)*[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=e

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook