Proof of Isomorphism: Proving \phi(a^{-1})=^\phi(a){-1}

In summary, we have an isomorphism \phi from group G to G', with the properties that \phi maps the identity element e of G to the identity element e' of G', and for every a in G, \phi(a^{-1}) is the inverse of \phi(a) in G'. Using the homomorphic property, we can prove that \phi(e)=e and \phi(a*a^{-1})=\phi(a)*\phi(a^{-1})=e, which shows that \phi(e) is the inverse of \phi(a) in G'.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

[tex]\phi[/tex]:G-->G'
Let [tex]\phi[/tex] be an isomorphism. Prove that [tex]\phi[/tex] maps the e identity of G to e', the identity of G' and for every a[tex]\in[/tex]G, [tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=[tex]^\phi(a){-1}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have an isomorphism, therefore one to one, onto and has a homomorphism.
Phi is one to one therefore [tex]\phi[/tex](x)=[tex]\phi[/tex](y), implying x=y.
Then [tex]\phi[/tex](G)=[tex]\phi[/tex](G') implying e=e'.
Now [tex]\phi[/tex](a*[tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=[tex]\phi[/tex](a)*[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]a^{-1}[/tex]) is what we want to prove.

Now I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part try
[tex]\phi(e)=\phi(ee)=...[/tex]

[tex]\phi(e)=\phi(a a^{-1})=\phi(a)\phi(a^{-1})=e[/tex]
Now what do you know about inverses?

[tex]\phi[/tex](e)=[tex]\phi[/tex](ee) implies e=ee
[tex]\phi[/tex](e)=[tex]\phi[/tex](a[tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=[tex]\phi[/tex](a)[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]^a{-1}[/tex])=e
I think I understand where all this comes from and I know a[tex]a^{-1}[/tex]=e

Firstly no it doesn't, try using the homomorphic property and then cancel.

On the second one you found one inverse for [itex]\phi(a)[/itex], use the uniqueness of the inverse. Sorry my post is a bit confusing, use the second equation for the second part.

Sorry, I'm blanking on what a homomorphic property is. Is that f(xy)=f(x)f(y)?
so [tex]\phi[/tex](e')=[tex]\phi[/tex](a[tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=[tex]\phi[/tex](a)*[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]a^{-1}[/tex])=e

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures. It essentially means that two structures have the same underlying structure and can be mapped onto each other in a way that preserves their properties.

2. What is the purpose of proving \phi(a^{-1})=^\phi(a){-1} in isomorphism?

This proof is important in isomorphism because it shows that the mapping function \phi preserves the operation of inversion. This means that if two structures are isomorphic, their inverses will also be isomorphic.

3. How is the proof of isomorphism carried out?

The proof of isomorphism involves showing that the mapping function \phi is both injective and surjective. This means that \phi maps each element of one structure to a unique element in the other structure, and every element in the other structure has a corresponding element in the first structure.

4. What is the significance of \phi(a^{-1})=^\phi(a){-1} in terms of isomorphism?

This equation is significant because it shows that the mapping function \phi preserves the operation of inversion. This means that the inverse of an isomorphic structure will also be isomorphic, which is a key property of isomorphism.

5. Can \phi(a^{-1})=^\phi(a){-1} be used to prove isomorphism in all cases?

No, this equation alone cannot be used to prove isomorphism. It is just one part of the proof and must be combined with other proofs and criteria to fully establish isomorphism between two structures.