Isomorphism question with D4

• Thread starter tyrannosaurus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, we can show that |G|≤16, and assuming |G|=16, we can then show that G/<y^2> is isomorphic to D4. To do this, we need to show that w=x<y^2> and z=y<y^2> are generators for G/<y^2>, and that w^4=q, z^2=q, and (wz)^2=e.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

Let G=<x, y|x^4=y^4=e, xyxy^–1=e>. Show that |G|≤16. Assuming |G|=16, show G/<y^2> is isomorphic to D4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have:
since xyxy^-1=e, we know that yxy^-1=x^-1=x^3, so we know that x is a conjugate and partions G. So G= <x> union y<x> and |G|<= 16.
Lets assume that |G|=16.
So |G|/|<y^2>|=8, thus |G|/|<y^2>|>= |D4|.
D4=<a,b|a^4=b^2=(ab)^2=e, or ab=ba^3>.
Let w=x<y^2> , z=y<y^2> and q=e<y^2> (where q is are identity element in G/<y^2>.
Need to show that G/<y^2>= <w,z|w^4=z^2=(wz)^2=e>.
1. Since x and y are generates in G, then w and z are generates in G/<y^2>. I am not sure if this is right, could someone explain this to me? (I need to show that w and z generate G/<y^2>).
2. w^4=e since (x<y^2>)^4=x^4<y^2>=e<y^2>=q.
3. z^2=e since (y<y^2>)^2=y^2<y^2>=e<y^2>=q.
4. (wz)^2=(wz)(wz)=e. Since wz=(z^-1)(w^-1), then wz=xy<y^2> and z^-1w^-1=y^3x^3<y^2>=yx^3<y^2>. Thus xy<y^2>=yx^3<y^2>.
Therefore, G/<y^2> is isomorphic to D4.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution looks good overall! Here are a few clarifications and suggestions:

1. You are correct that w=x<y^2> and z=y<y^2> are generators for G/<y^2>. This is because any element in G/<y^2> can be written as (x^i)(y^j)<y^2> for some integers i and j. Since x and y are generators for G, this means that w and z can generate any element in G/<y^2>.

2. You can also show that w^4=q and z^2=q using the same reasoning as in your attempt. Since x^4=y^4=e, this means that (x<y^2>)^4=(y<y^2>)^4=q.

3. In step 4, you are correct that wz=xy<y^2>=yx^3<y^2>. However, to show that (wz)^2=e, you need to show that (wz)(wz)=e. This follows from the fact that wz=xy<y^2> and z^-1w^-1=yx^3<y^2>, as you mentioned. So (wz)(wz)=xy<y^2>yx^3<y^2>=e.

Overall, your solution is clear and correct. Great job!

1. What is the definition of isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a concept in mathematics that refers to a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures. In other words, it is a relationship where two structures have the same underlying structure, despite potentially having different names or labels for their elements.

2. What is D4 in relation to isomorphism?

D4, also known as the dihedral group of order 8, is a mathematical group that represents the symmetries of a square or a regular octagon. It is often used in isomorphism questions as a way to compare the structures of different groups.

3. How do you determine if two groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two groups, such as D4, are isomorphic, you must first establish a mapping between the elements of each group. This mapping must preserve the group operation, meaning that the result of combining two elements in one group must be the same as combining the corresponding elements in the other group. If such a mapping exists, the two groups are considered isomorphic.

4. What is the significance of the isomorphism question with D4?

The isomorphism question with D4 is a common problem in mathematics, particularly in the field of group theory. By studying the isomorphism between D4 and other groups, mathematicians can gain a deeper understanding of the structures and relationships between different mathematical objects.

5. Can groups be isomorphic but have different properties?

Yes, it is possible for two groups to be isomorphic but have different properties. Isomorphism only considers the underlying structure and relationships between elements, not any specific properties or characteristics of those elements. This means that two isomorphic groups can have different properties, such as different orders or different numbers of subgroups.