Proving K≅N from K⊕K ≅ N⊕N

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, if two finite abelian groups K and N are isomorphic through a direct sum, then K and N are isomorphic themselves. This can be proven by constructing a bijection between the two groups, showing that it is invertible and onto, and using the decomposition theorem for finite abelian groups. Therefore, K and N are both cyclic groups with the same order, proving that they are isomorphic.
Bachelier
All groups are finite abelian

if K⊕K ≅ N⊕N, prove that K≅N

I'm thinking of constructing bijection, but I don't know if my argument makes sense!

since K⊕K ≅ N⊕N, there exists a bij between the two

assume ψ: K⊕K ----> N⊕N
(k,k') |---> (n,n') where n = f(k) for some fct f and n' = g(k')

since ψ is a bij it is invertible, hence f is invertible and then it is a bijection

or:

since ψ is a homomorphism, then so is f b/c ψ(kk',k"k'")=(nn',n"n"')=(f(k),f(k'),g(k'')g(k'''))=(f(kk'),g(k"k'''))

and f is onto inherited from ψ. ker ψ = ψ(e,e)=(e,e) in (N⊕N) = ker(f,g)

I don't like it but it's the only thing I can think of.

any ideas. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know the decomposition theorem for finite abelian groups?

in other words, the fundamental thm of finite abelian groups,

every fin. ab. grp G is the direct sum of cyclic groups, each of prime power order.

let G = K⊕K ≅ N⊕N = G'

by thm K and N are both cyclic. hence K= <k> and N = <n> with |<k>| = |<n>|

hence K ≅ N.

1. How do you prove that K≅N from K⊕K ≅ N⊕N?

To prove that K is isomorphic to N from the given equation K⊕K ≅ N⊕N, we need to show that K and N have the same number of elements and the same structure. This can be done by constructing a bijective function between K and N.

2. What is the meaning of K⊕K ≅ N⊕N?

The symbol "≅" means isomorphic, which indicates that two mathematical structures are identical in terms of the number of elements and their relationships. The "⊕" symbol represents the direct sum of two structures, which is the combination of their elements and operations.

3. Can you provide an example of proving K≅N from K⊕K ≅ N⊕N?

For example, if K is the set of even integers and N is the set of whole numbers, we can show that K and N are isomorphic by constructing a bijective function f: K→N such that f(x) = x/2 for all x∈K. This function maps each element of K to a unique element of N and vice versa, preserving the structure of both sets.

4. Is proving K≅N from K⊕K ≅ N⊕N applicable to other mathematical structures?

Yes, this method of proving isomorphism is applicable to various mathematical structures such as groups, rings, and vector spaces. As long as the given equation satisfies the conditions for isomorphism, we can use this method to prove their isomorphism.

5. What are the conditions for the given equation to prove isomorphism between K and N?

The equation K⊕K ≅ N⊕N must satisfy two conditions to prove isomorphism between K and N: 1) K and N must have the same number of elements, and 2) the combination of their elements and operations must be the same. If these conditions are met, we can construct a bijective function between K and N to prove their isomorphism.