Maximizing Area: Solving Isoperimetric Problem for Plane Curves

• Thread starter Adorno
  • Start date
In summary, the plane curve with length l has its end points at (0, 0) and (a, 0) on the positive x-axis. The area under the curve is given by A = \int_0^l y \sqrt{1 - y'^2}ds. The function y(s) and the value of a which maximises A are found to be c\mathrm{sin}(\frac{s}{c} + k), where c and k are arbitrary constants.
Adorno

Homework Statement

A plane curve with length [itex]l[/itex] has its end points at [itex](0, 0)[/itex] and [itex](a, 0)[/itex] on the positive [itex]x[/itex]-axis. Show that the area [itex]A[/itex] under this curve is given by [tex]A = \int_0^l y \sqrt{1 - y'^2}ds,[/tex] where [itex]y' = dy/dx[/itex], Find the function [itex]y(s)[/itex] and the value of [itex]a[/itex] which maximises [itex]A[/itex] and in turn determine that the curve in the [itex]x - y[/itex] plane is a semi-circle.

Homework Equations

The Euler-Lagrange equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to show that the area is given by that integral (by making the substitution [itex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/itex]). I applied the Euler-Lagrange equation to the integrand and I got the solution [tex]y(s) = c\mathrm{sin}(\frac{s}{c} + k),[/tex] where [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex] are arbitrary constants.

I think this is correct so far, but I'm unsure how to find the "value of [itex]a[/itex] which maximises [itex]A[/itex]", and I don't know how to express the curve in terms of [itex]x[/itex]. Do we need to use some relationship between [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know that this curves goes between (0,0) and (a,0) right? So in particular, y(0)=0 and y(l) = 0. Those should allow you to get rid of some constants.

Ok, so y(0) = 0 implies k = 0 and y(l) = 0 implies l/c = π, so c = l/π and y(s) = (l/π)sin(πs/l).

I'm still not entirely sure how I'm supposed to find the value of a that maximises the area or the equation in terms of x and y.

It seems to me that you should be able to calculate l using a.

Well, I know that [itex]l = \int_0^a \sqrt{1 + y'^2}dx[/itex] but in order to evaluate this integral I would need to know y in terms of x, which is what I'm trying to find.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

What is the Isoperimetric problem?

The Isoperimetric problem is a mathematical problem that asks for the shape with the largest area for a given perimeter. It was first posed by Greek mathematicians in the 3rd century BC.

Why is the Isoperimetric problem important?

The Isoperimetric problem has many real-world applications, such as in the design of structures that are both efficient and strong, and in the optimization of resource distribution in economics and biology.

What is the solution to the Isoperimetric problem?

The solution to the Isoperimetric problem is a circle. This was proven by mathematician Johann Bernoulli in 1697. However, there are also other shapes that can have the largest area for a given perimeter, such as the Reuleaux triangle.

What are some variations of the Isoperimetric problem?

Some variations of the Isoperimetric problem include finding the shape with the smallest perimeter for a given area, finding the shape with the largest perimeter for a given area, and finding the shape with the largest area for a given volume.

What is the connection between the Isoperimetric problem and calculus?

The Isoperimetric problem can be solved using the method of Lagrange multipliers, which involves the use of calculus. This method allows for the optimization of a function subject to a constraint, in this case, the constraint being a fixed perimeter.