1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isoperimetric problem

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane curve with length [itex]l[/itex] has its end points at [itex](0, 0)[/itex] and [itex](a, 0)[/itex] on the positive [itex]x[/itex]-axis. Show that the area [itex]A[/itex] under this curve is given by [tex]A = \int_0^l y \sqrt{1 - y'^2}ds,[/tex] where [itex]y' = dy/dx[/itex], Find the function [itex]y(s)[/itex] and the value of [itex]a[/itex] which maximises [itex]A[/itex] and in turn determine that the curve in the [itex]x - y[/itex] plane is a semi-circle.

2. Relevant equations
    The Euler-Lagrange equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have managed to show that the area is given by that integral (by making the substitution [itex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/itex]). I applied the Euler-Lagrange equation to the integrand and I got the solution [tex]y(s) = c\mathrm{sin}(\frac{s}{c} + k),[/tex] where [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex] are arbitrary constants.

I think this is correct so far, but I'm unsure how to find the "value of [itex]a[/itex] which maximises [itex]A[/itex]", and I don't know how to express the curve in terms of [itex]x[/itex]. Do we need to use some relationship between [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    Well, you know that this curves goes between (0,0) and (a,0) right? So in particular, y(0)=0 and y(l) = 0. Those should allow you to get rid of some constants.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Ok, so y(0) = 0 implies k = 0 and y(l) = 0 implies l/c = π, so c = l/π and y(s) = (l/π)sin(πs/l).

I'm still not entirely sure how I'm supposed to find the value of a that maximises the area or the equation in terms of x and y.

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4
    It seems to me that you should be able to calculate l using a.

6. Oct 2, 2011 #5
    Well, I know that [itex]l = \int_0^a \sqrt{1 + y'^2}dx[/itex] but in order to evaluate this integral I would need to know y in terms of x, which is what I'm trying to find.

7. Oct 2, 2011 #6
    Does anyone else have any ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook