1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isospin Rotation

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that
    [tex] R_2 \left| I \; 0 \right> = (-1)^I \left| I \; 0 \right> [/tex]
    [tex] R_2 = e^{i \pi I_2} [/tex]

N.B. the isospin states are represented by the usual notation of
    [tex] \left| \textrm{(total isospin}) \qquad \textrm{(isospin component in the z direction)} \right> [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess I may be using the angular momentum analogy a bit too strongly here but my understanding is that we are asked for the eigenvalues of the operator representing a [tex] \pi [/tex] rotation about the [tex] I_2 [/tex] axis.

The states we are working with have no component of isospin in the z (or if you rather [tex] I_3 [/tex] ) direction, so it's all in the 1-2 plane. My main conceptual problem is that I thought (after knowing total and z component of isospin) we can't tell anything else about the orientation. I guess this could be where I'm taking the angular momentum analogy too far but I'll continue... So if we rotate it about the 2 axis how are we to know it's not all in the 2 direction anyway (giving us a 1 eigenvalue) or all in the 1 direction (a -1 eigenstate) or neither?
    Clearly the correct answer doesn't bode well with my thinking.

I have tried treating this purely mathematically by the way but haven't got anywhere and probably isn't worth showing. I'd appreciate any help with this - be it conceptual or mathematical.
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?