1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isothermal expansion

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1
    55 moles of an ideal gas, at an initial pressure of 3.00 × 105 N/m2 and an initial volume of 1.700 m3, undergo a small isothermal expansion to a volume of 1.720 m3. Find the work done by the gas.

i am confused about the units but here is what i got...

so w=nRTln(vi/vf)

so i know n and i know vi and vf......now for R i think i am going to use 8.314 J/mol K....are those the right units?

so to find T i must use PiVi=nRT

but what units does P and V have to be in to yeild K and shoud use the same units for R as i wrote above?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are using the correct formula and the correct reasoning. The constant R (8.314 N*m/mol*K) is designed specifically to give you the right units. You will get the temperature in Kelvins.

P*V, by the way, gives you a unit equivalent to joules. Pressure can be considered to be a measurement of energy per volume ratio. In a monatomic ideal gas, the internal energy of the gas is equal to (3/2)PV.

4. Apr 16, 2007 #3
    thank you so much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?