1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isothermal vs. isochronic

1. May 15, 2003 #1

Dx

Hello again,

Last question for a while kinda confused between these two. Lets say i have these two processes, the internal energy of a system is removed(isothermal) and decreases by 50J(both of them).

Now for isothermal Q=W which would tell me that work equals 50J, correct and isochronic would also have a heat exchange of 50J, right?

Can you help me?
    Dx :wink:

ps. lets use these questions for a better example if i have confused you.

1) During an isothermal process, 5J of heat is removed from the ideal gas. what is the work done in the process. its 5J, right

2) In a isochronic process, the internal energy of a system decreases by 50J, ok. whats the heat exchange? 50J, right

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is "isochronic"?

Did you mean "isochoric" (constant-volume process)

4. May 16, 2003 #3

Dx

LMAO!

Hiya! Tom,
    Yes i mean isocoric. Sounds like a new type of chronic/mary jane cig huh.
    Your right Isochoric.
    Thanks!
    Dx :wink:

5. May 16, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

Right again.

And three's a charm.

Try the following website. It's really great.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

In the bubble map, click on "Heat and Thermodynamics". In the new menu, you will see, among other things, "Isothermal" and "Constant Volume" (aka "Isochronic" LOL).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?