1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isothermic Work done by a gas

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1
    Work done by a gas; Isothermic situation

A gas expands isothermically from [tex] p_1 , V_1 [/tex] to [tex] p_2 , V_2 [/tex] . What is the work done by the gas if [tex] p_1 = 8 atm[/tex] [tex] V_1 = .1m^3[/tex] [tex] p_2 = 1 atm [/tex][tex] V_2 = .8m^3[/tex]?
    I solved the problem using the integral P*dv but my teacher posted the solutions this evening and drew a linear relationship between the two and solved that way. The problem as you see above is how it was given to us verbatim. Should I have assumed that there was a linear relationship between the two? This is Physics with Calc so it isn't like we can't do the integration. Here was my solution
    [tex] W=pdv=\int_ {V_1}^{V_2}\frac{nRTdV}{V} [/tex]
    [tex]nRT=p_1V_1[/tex]
    [tex]nRT\ln\frac{V_2}{V_1}[/tex]
    [tex]p_1V_1\ln\frac{V_2}{V_1} [/tex]
    Then I just plugged in my values and got an answer. I guess my real question is why should I have assumed there was a linear relationship here??!?!?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your solution looks correct to me. I don't see how the correct answer could be obtained by assuming a linear relationship (between P and V, I presume) where one doesn't exist. Did he get the same answer as you?

4. Jan 20, 2006 #3
    Thanks for your input Doc! Just got a reply from my professor. He said he made a mistake when writing the solutions guide and verified my answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?