Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isotope exchange

  1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    Deuterium is heavier then Hydrogen so a metal bonded to H vs. C can be determined by isotopic exchange and then using Infrared Spectroscopy/mass spec. But how do you replace hydrogen with deuterium?

    a.Dehydrogenation and then add deuterated solvents (heavy water or CDCl3 ..deuterated chloroform)?
    b.Just dissolve cpd in deuterated solvent?

    I have doubts about the above mentioned applications…so how what is the meachanism?

    Thanks for your help

    Wait …what is the difference between isotope exchange vs. isotope labeling?

  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2006 #2
    opos I think this should have been under the homework "other sciences" section...So sorry!

    back to the question I think if you have some thing as simple as a M-H bond you can just dissolve it is deuterated solvents! ~ right?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook