1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isotope percentages

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Carbon has two naturally occurring isotopes with the following isotopic masses: 12 (exactly) and 13.003. Calculate the percent natural abundance of carbon-13.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure if this is right, but here's what I used. I set up a system of two equations, 12x+13.003y=12.0107 (12.0107 being the atomic weight for carbon, obtained from the periodic table) and x+y=1 (because these are the ratios, which will be used to find the percentages).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for y, since that's the percentage I'm looking for. I don't think I should need to show my work, since it's pretty basic, but I was wondering if this is the right way to go about solving this problem. My answer came out to 1.1%, or 0.011 for y. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Method looks OK and the result seems to be in a correct ballpark.

--

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. Aug 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks Borek, I appreciate the prompt response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook