• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Isotope Stability

• Thread starter mandy9008
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Why is it important in brachytherapy to realize that rhodium is not a stable isotope? If rhodium were not a stable isotope, what considerations must one make?

I know that a stable isotope can go from one element to another, but I don't see how that would have anything to do with this problem.

Answers and Replies

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Why is it important in brachytherapy to realize that rhodium is not a stable isotope? If rhodium were not a stable isotope, what considerations must one make?

I know that a stable isotope can go from one element to another, but I don't see how that would have anything to do with this problem.
I think you mean an unstable isotope can likely change into another element via radioactive decay.

Anyway, When ruthenium 106Ru decays into rhodium 106Rh via beta decay, a certain amount of energy is released. You might consider this energy as being part of a radiation "dose."

But what happens to the leftover 106Rh? What's the half-life of 106Rh? Does anything happen to the 106Rh that might contribute to the total radiation dose? :wink: