Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isotropic Decay

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    I am trying to solve a problem from Jackson's and it says that the decay in particle's rest frame is more or less isotropic. I was wondering if somebody could help me figure the meaning of an 'isotropic decay' here.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2
    Isotropic means all directions are equally likely.

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    I knew that sense of the term, but that meaning doesnt really help solving the this problem.

5. Oct 19, 2009 #4
    I think it should mean of the following:
    1- the magnitude of spatial momenta is almost the same for all decay products,
    2- the magnitude of temporal momenta (energy) is almost the same for all decay products.

But I cant figure out which description is actually meant just from the look of the problem.

6. Oct 19, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You are talking about magnitudes. As hamster says, the word refers to directions.

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6
    The definition as I heard from the instructor is as follows:

A decay is isotropic if it is so in the Center of Mass frame; in the sense that the decay products come out in all angles with the same probability (but of course with fixed relative angles between them imposed by momentum conservation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook