Isotropic harmonic potential degeneracy of two identical particles

In summary, two identical particles in an isotropic harmonic potential without interaction and spin-orbit forces have degeneracies of 1, 12, 39 for spin 1/2 and 6, 27, 99 for spin 1 at the three lowest energy levels. For spin 1/2 particles, the spatial degeneracy is 1 and the spin degeneracy is 1, while for spin 1 particles, the spatial degeneracy is 3 and the spin degeneracy is 3. However, some states are not allowed due to the Pauli exclusion principle, resulting in a total degeneracy of 2 for n=1 and 3 for n=0 in the case of
hpar
Hello Everyone,

I've come across the following question and can't seem to get the right answer out:

Homework Statement

Two identical particles are in an isotropic harmonic potential. Show that, if the particles do not interact and there are no spin-orbit forces the degeneracies of the three lowest energy values are 1, 12, 39 if particles have spin 1/2, and 6, 27, 99 if the particles have spin 1.

Homework Equations

In an isotropic 3D harmonic oscillator we can write the energy levels as:

E = (n+3/2)[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]
where n = nx + ny + nz

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, in the first case, particles have spin 1/2, we have fermions, where particles with same quantum numbers can't coexist in same state due to the antisymmetric wavefunction, unless it's the spin part of the wavefunction that is antisymmetric.

now, our first energy level is when n = 0. Here, the spatial degeneracy is 1. Now, we can have two identical particles of spin 1/2 in that state as we have two possibilities for the spin. ie: we have two state at that energy so the degeneracy is two. and two particles of spin 1/2 can fill that state.
For the next value of n, n=1, we have three possible degeneracies.
0 0 1, 0 1 0, 1 0 0 for nx ny and nz. and we have two spin states. So spatial degeneracy is 3, spin degeneracy 2, so total states at the energy level is 3*2 = 6 different states at that energy. Degeneracy is 6. And so on. (we can derive general formula for such a degeneracy). Now my reasoning must obviously be wrong as I don't get the values stated in the question.

I would apply the same reasoning to spin 1 particles, but multiply by three since we have three possible spin states: -1, 0 and 1.

Can anybody help me out and point out the error in my reasoning in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

Your reasoning is on the right track, but there are a few key points that you are missing.

Firstly, in the case of spin 1/2 particles, you are correct that the spatial degeneracy is 1 for the n=0 energy level. However, the spin degeneracy is not 2. Remember that for fermions, the total wavefunction must be antisymmetric. This means that the spin part of the wavefunction must be symmetric. Therefore, for two particles with spin 1/2, the only possible spin states are both spin up or both spin down. This gives us a spin degeneracy of 1, not 2.

For the next energy level, n=1, you correctly identified that there are 3 possible spatial states (0 0 1, 0 1 0, 1 0 0) and 2 possible spin states (both spin up or both spin down). However, these are not all distinct states. In fact, the state (0 0 1) with both particles in the same spatial state and the same spin state is not allowed due to the Pauli exclusion principle. This leaves us with only 2 possible states at this energy level, giving a total degeneracy of 2.

You are correct that for spin 1 particles, the spin degeneracy will be 3 instead of 1. However, you must also take into account that there are now 3 possible spatial states for each n value, not just 1. This means that for n=0, there are 3 possible states with a total degeneracy of 3. For n=1, there are 9 possible states with a total degeneracy of 9.

I hope this helps clarify the reasoning behind the given degeneracies. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is an isotropic harmonic potential?

An isotropic harmonic potential is a type of potential energy function that is spherically symmetric, meaning it is the same in all directions. It is commonly used in physics to model the interaction between particles, such as atoms or molecules.

2. What does degeneracy mean in the context of two identical particles?

Degeneracy refers to the phenomenon where two or more quantum states have the same energy. In the case of two identical particles in an isotropic harmonic potential, it means that they can occupy the same energy level, resulting in multiple ways for the particles to be arranged.

3. How does degeneracy affect the behavior of two identical particles in an isotropic harmonic potential?

If two identical particles have degenerate energy levels, they can exchange places without affecting the overall energy of the system. This results in the particles being able to move freely, leading to interesting quantum effects such as Bose-Einstein condensation.

4. How is degeneracy related to symmetry in an isotropic harmonic potential?

In an isotropic harmonic potential, the energy levels have a specific symmetry, which leads to degeneracy. The more symmetrical the potential, the higher the degeneracy of the energy levels. This is because symmetry allows for more ways for the particles to be arranged without affecting the energy of the system.

5. Can degeneracy be broken in an isotropic harmonic potential?

Yes, degeneracy can be broken in an isotropic harmonic potential through the introduction of external perturbations, such as an electric or magnetic field. These perturbations break the symmetry of the potential, resulting in the energy levels no longer being degenerate. This can lead to new behaviors and phenomena in the system.