Isotropic Observer: Are They Always At Rest?

In summary: FRW coordinate chart, and then observe that what you are calling isotropic observers (the more usual term is "comoving" observers) remain at the same spatial coordinates in this chart for all time, hence are "at rest" in this chart.
eoghan
It is said that in the case of a homogeneous and isotropic spacetime, the surfaces of homogeneity must be orthogonal to the tangents to the world lines of the isotropic observer.
Does this mean that the isotropic observers are always at rest in a surface of homogeneity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like asking; do all observers measure proper time/length?

Is that similar to your question?

Always "at rest"? Always measure time/length properly:smile:; according to how they are defined.

Relative motion is (generally*) not part of measuring time/length, either is "at rest".

*those measurements taken while accelerating causes "issues", but given your choice of words I'd guess you are aware of this point...also.

Oh and is that a common term? "isotropic observer" never heard it before and can't picture what it would "mean".

Last edited:
No, it means that a given time the properties of the space are the same everywhere. At a given instant of course an observer is "at rest", but then it can move along its worldline!

oh yea isotropic is pretty commonly understood, especially in a physics forum. "Isotropic observer", given the definitions of "observer" & isotropic from a physics perspective, left me unsure if something besides plain ol' "observer" was implied.

I tried adding the definitions together...and it didn't add up.

"At a given instant of course an observer is "at rest"," :confused: relative to what?? the way time/length is measured?

anyhoo let's not carry on with this.

eoghan said:
It is said that in the case of a homogeneous and isotropic spacetime, the surfaces of homogeneity must be orthogonal to the tangents to the world lines of the isotropic observer.

If by "isotropic observer" you mean "an observer that sees the spacetime as isotropic", then yes, this is true. At least, it's true of the standard example of a homogeneous and isotropic spacetime, FRW spacetime.

eoghan said:
Does this mean that the isotropic observers are always at rest in a surface of homogeneity?

Yes. This is a bit of a strange way of stating it, though; the more standard way of stating it requires you to first set up the standard FRW coordinate chart, and then observe that what you are calling isotropic observers (the more usual term is "comoving" observers) remain at the same spatial coordinates in this chart for all time, hence are "at rest" in this chart.

It's also good to bear in mind that these comoving observers, although they are "at rest" in the standard coordinate chart, are *not* "at rest" relative to each other in other senses in an FRW spacetime. For example, if two comoving observers exchange light signals, they will see the round-trip travel times of the light signals continually increase or decrease (depending on whether they are in an expanding FRW spacetime or a contracting one).

PeterDonis said:
If by "isotropic observer" you mean "an observer that sees the spacetime as isotropic", then yes, this is true. At least, it's true of the standard example of a homogeneous and isotropic spacetime, FRW spacetime.

Yes. This is a bit of a strange way of stating it, though; the more standard way of stating it requires you to first set up the standard FRW coordinate chart, and then observe that what you are calling isotropic observers (the more usual term is "comoving" observers) remain at the same spatial coordinates in this chart for all time, hence are "at rest" in this chart.

It's also good to bear in mind that these comoving observers, although they are "at rest" in the standard coordinate chart, are *not* "at rest" relative to each other in other senses in an FRW spacetime. For example, if two comoving observers exchange light signals, they will see the round-trip travel times of the light signals continually increase or decrease (depending on whether they are in an expanding FRW spacetime or a contracting one).
From this it seems "isotropic " observer means measuring isotropic CMBR readings , is this right?

Austin0 said:
From this it seems "isotropic " observer means measuring isotropic CMBR readings , is this right?

In a universe with a CMBR, such as ours, yes. More generally, whatever matter/energy/radiation is present will appear isotropic to an "isotropic observer". (Obviously this only holds approximately in our actual universe.)

nitsuj said:
oh yea isotropic is pretty commonly understood, especially in a physics forum. "Isotropic observer", given the definitions of "observer" & isotropic from a physics perspective, left me unsure if something besides plain ol' "observer" was implied.

I tried adding the definitions together...and it didn't add up.
I've read it in "Wald - General Relativity". It means an observer who sees the universe as isotropic.

alialice said:
At a given instant of course an observer is "at rest", but then it can move along its worldline!
The problem is that the worldline is always orthogonal, so the observer will always be at rest relative to the surface of homogeneity

PeterDonis said:
Uhm.. if I take a picture of the universe at a frozen time t, then that is a surface of hoogeneity, is it right?

eoghan said:
I've read it in "Wald - General Relativity". It means an observer who sees the universe as isotropic.

The problem is that the worldline is always orthogonal, so the observer will always be at rest relative to the surface of homogeneity

Uhm.. if I take a picture of the universe at a frozen time t, then that is a surface of hoogeneity, is it right?

I find the question as worded in the OP kind of awkward.

Personally I see it as asking about measurements, and the "consequence/effect" the invariance of c has on those measurements.

"The problem is that the worldline is always orthogonal, so the observer will always be at rest relative to the surface of homogeneity"

Like Peter said this is "coordinates".

As stated above I can't help but feel the train of thought would continue to "at rest" we are traveling at c relative to..., or some other similar "Greene" interpretation.

eoghan said:

If the time "t" is the time in the standard FRW chart (which is the same as proper time for "comoving" observers), then yes.

nitsuj said:
Personally I see it as asking about measurements, and the "consequence/effect" the invariance of c has on those measurements.

The reference to Wald makes it clear that the OP is talking about FRW spacetimes and their properties. I don't think the OP meant to raise any issues about measurements, the invariance of c, etc. (though he can of course correct me if I'm wrong).

nitsuj said:
Like Peter said this is "coordinates".

I did say that, but now I need to clarify that it's not *just* coordinates. :redface:

For the term "at rest" to be meaningful, one has to specify "at rest relative to what?" The standard FRW coordinate chart uses the worldlines of comoving observers as the standard of "rest"; each comoving worldline stays at the same spatial coordinates for all time. But the comoving worldlines themselves are invariant features of the spacetime; you can describe them in any coordinate chart you like, they just won't look as simple in any chart other than the standard FRW chart.

Similarly, the fact that the worldlines of comoving observers are orthogonal to the surfaces of homogeneity is an invariant; it does not depend on the coordinate chart. It's just easiest to illustrate this fact in the standard FRW chart, since the surfaces of homogeneity are just surfaces of constant time in this chart.

Sorry if the above wasn't clear from my previous posts.

Opps, then it's my mistake Peter.

I don't even know what FRW is.

Sorry 'bout confusing the thread.

PeterDonis said:
If the time "t" is the time in the standard FRW chart (which is the same as proper time for "comoving" observers), then yes.

So if I am an isotropic observer (then "t" is the time in the standard FRW) I must be at rest in a given surface of homogeneity, can't I move?

eoghan said:
So if I am an isotropic observer (then "t" is the time in the standard FRW) I must be at rest in a given surface of homogeneity, can't I move?

Of course you "can" move (meaning you can have a worldline that does not stay at the same spatial coordinates for all time in the standard FRW chart). But if you move, you won't be an isotropic observer any more--you won't see the universe as being the same in all directions.

eoghan said:

On re-reading this, I realized I should comment on the phrase "take a picture". I was interpreting that to mean "take a particular spacelike slice of constant FRW coordinate time t out of the entire spacetime". Any such spacelike slice is a surface of homogeneity.

However, if you were to literally "take a picture" of the light rays entering your eyes (or your camera's lens) at a particular instant, in a standard FRW spacetime, what would be in the picture would *not* be the same as what is in a spacelike slice. What is in the picture, taken literally, would be what is present on your past light cone at the instant at which the picture is taken. And that will *not* be homogeneous (though it will still be isotropic), because the light coming to you at a given instant was emitted at different times, depending on how far away the objects emitting it are.

Thank you all for the answers. I've understood the whole thing (I think)

1. What is an isotropic observer?

An isotropic observer is a hypothetical observer who is able to see in all directions with equal clarity. This means that, regardless of their location or orientation, they would perceive the same amount of light or radiation from all directions.

2. How does an isotropic observer differ from a regular observer?

An isotropic observer differs from a regular observer in that they do not have a preferred direction of observation. Regular observers, such as humans, have limited visual perception and may have a preferred direction of vision.

3. Are isotropic observers always at rest?

No, isotropic observers are not always at rest. The term "rest" in this context refers to a state of constant velocity, where an observer is not accelerating. An isotropic observer can be in motion, as long as their velocity is constant and they do not experience acceleration.

4. What is the significance of isotropic observers in physics?

Isotropic observers are significant in physics because they provide a useful frame of reference for studying the properties of space and time. They help to simplify calculations and observations by eliminating the effects of motion and orientation.

5. Can an object be considered an isotropic observer?

No, an object cannot be considered an isotropic observer. Isotropic observers are hypothetical constructs used in physics, and an object has physical properties and limitations that prevent it from being truly isotropic in its observations.