1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isotropy/Homogeneity of Spacetime and Inertial Frame Equivalence

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    So this is problem 11.1 out of Jackson Electrodynamics:
    Two equivalent intertial frames K and K' are such that K' moves in the positive x direction with speed v as seen from K. The spatial coordinate axes in K' are parallel to those in K and the two origins are coincident at times t=t'=0. (a) Show that the isotropy and homogeneity of space-time and the equivalence of different intertial frames (first postulate of relativity) require that the most general transformation between the space-time coordinates (x,y,z,t) and (x',y',z',t') is the linear transformation,
    [tex]\begin{eqnarray}x'&=&f(v^2)x-vf(v^2)t \\
    t'&=&g(v^2)t-vh(v^2)x \\
    y'&=&y \\
    z'&=&z
    \end{eqnarray}[/tex]

My problem with Jackson so far, after one problem set, is that his problems can just be so vague. So the linear transformations of the boost parameter/rapidity, seem to me, are made under the assumption of homogeneity and isotropy of space time. If so, then the linear transformation of the rapidity gives the answer. But, I just don't know if this is really what Jackson has intended from the problem.

I'm also a bit confused on how the isotropy and homogeneity of space-time is not an equivalent way of saying that different inertial frames are equivalent. If a linear transformation gives me the same invariant, under the assumption of isotropy and homogeneity, then that's the same as saying my linear transformation (essentially a space-time rotation) implies that the event metric (the interval) in the rotated axes (the new inertial frame) must be equivalent. Is this circular logic though?

I'm pretty sure I can do parts b and c if I can just understand what this problem wants from me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?