Torus Topology and Isotropy: Exploring the Possibilities

• Thread starter tom.stoer
  • Start date
In summary, the question being discussed is if a torus admits coordinates that guarantee isotropy, or if there is a geometry on a torus that respects isotropy. Isotropy is defined as the property of being the same in all directions, and a space is called isotropic if its properties do not depend on the direction. However, it is also mentioned that isotropy is a local property and a global transitivity and smoothness is required for it to hold. The discussion also touches on the topic of isotropic manifolds, homogeneous spaces, and lattice preserving isometries of Euclidean space.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
My question is if a torus admits coordinates which guarantuee isotropy.

Background:

In cosmology one usually assumes homogenity and isotropy of the universe. These principles are respected by most prominent cosmological models. Now what about the torus universe? Is there a choice of coordinates for which isotropy is guarantueed?

Using standard torus coordinates via embedding obviously violates isotropy. Using a square with opposite edges identified and cartesian coordinates on this square violates isotropy as well.

My feeling is that isotropy is always violated, i.e. that the torus topology does not allow for a geometry which respects isotropy. My reasoning goes as follows: using the square (cube, ...) one immediately sees that for a straight curve parallel to the edges of the square the curve always closes with winding number 1. A curve not parallel to the edges will close with winding number >1 (in rational cases) or it will never close (in irrational cases). But of course this is only one counter example for one specific geometry, not a general proof.

So my question is if there is a geometry on a torus which respects isotropy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, how is isotropy defined? Do you have to follow geodesics?

Good question.

The general statement is that "all directions are equivalent". I would suggest to define "directions" via geodesics (= generalized straight lines which are equivalent to shortest connection of twopoints in the absence of torsion; in the presence of torsion the equivalence breaks down).

This what Wikipedia says:

"In mathematics, an isotropic manifold is a manifold in which the geometry doesn't depend on directions. A simple example is the surface of a sphere.

A homogeneous space can be non-isotropic (for example, a flat torus !), in the sense that an invariant metric tensor on a homogeneous space may not be isotropic."

So according to Wikipedia (w/o proof) flat geometry on a torus is not compatible with isotropy.

the Wikipedia link is a stub and explains nothing. Can you define isotropic in rigorous mathematical terms?

Last edited:
A space is called homogenous if its properties do not depend on the location. A space is called isotropic if (at each point) its properties do not depend on the direction (one looks).

I have no rigorous mathematical definition, but the example of the torus should make it clear: a torus with flat geometry is definately homogeneous, i.e. its geometric properties do not depend on the location (it looks flat everywhere). In addition it looks isotropic locally. But globally its properties do depend on the direction. Its properties do not change along a straight curve, but there are curves with different winding properties depending on the direction of the curve.

Perhaps a thesaurus may help: isotropy - the property of being isotropic; having the same value when measured in different directions.

the Wikipepedia article is a stub. Can you define isotropic rigorously?

lavinia said:
the Wikipepedia article is a stub. Can you define isotropic rigorously?
I saw that! As I said I have no rigorous definition. You can check the following link, perhaps it becomes clearer.

http://www.answers.com/topic/isotropy-3

"Within mathematics, isotropy has a few different meanings:
(1) Isotropic manifolds: Some manifolds are isotropic, meaning that the geometry on the manifold is the same regardless of direction. A similar concept is homogeneity. A manifold can be homogeneous without being isotropic. But if it is inhomogeneous, it is necessarily anisotropic."

I guess I have both the definition of isotropy and the explanation why the torus fails to be isotropic.

A friend of mine found the following definition (Lee: "Riemann Manifolds")

"..given a point p \in M, M is isotropic at p if there exists a Lie group G acting smoothly on M by isometries such that the isometry subgroup G_p \subset G acts transitively on the set of unit vectors in T_p M."

I think that it's is clear what it means: given any p and two unit vectors x and y in T_M(p) one can find a rotation g which sends x to y, g(x) = y. Therefore the action is transitive locally i.e. for each p. But a rotation on the torus cannot be extended globally in a smooth manner. This becomes intuitively clear using a quadratic chart with cartesian coordinates covering nearly all of the (flat) 2-torus = leaving out only a small strip along the edges; within the square everything is fine, but in the small strip one has to "unwind" the rotation (which breaks local flatness of the torus and causes anisotropy within the strip) or one has to abandon smoothness at all.

So the crucial fact is GLOBAL transitivity and smoothness.

So projective space is isotropic.

the set of lattice preserving isometries of Euclidean space is what?

I guess it is just the group of invertible integer matrices of determinant +-1

Last edited:
such spaces must have constant curvature - so which hyperbolic manifolds if any are isotropic?

1. What is isotropy in torus-topology?

Isotropy in torus-topology refers to the property of a torus-shaped space or object being uniform or consistent in all directions. This means that there are no preferred directions or axes within the torus.

2. How is isotropy achieved in torus-topology?

Isotropy in torus-topology is achieved through the symmetrical arrangement of points and lines within the torus. This symmetrical arrangement ensures that the properties and characteristics of the torus are the same in all directions.

3. What are the practical applications of studying isotropy in torus-topology?

Studying isotropy in torus-topology has various practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and geometry. It can help in understanding the behavior of waves, electromagnetic fields, and fluid flows in torus-shaped systems. It can also aid in designing and analyzing torus-shaped structures and machines.

4. Can isotropy be broken in torus-topology?

Yes, isotropy can be broken in torus-topology if there is a force or influence that creates a preferred direction within the torus. This can happen in real-world torus systems due to external forces or imperfections in the symmetry of the torus.

5. How does isotropy in torus-topology differ from isotropy in other topologies?

The concept of isotropy is similar in all topologies, but the specific properties and characteristics may vary depending on the shape and structure of the space or object. In torus-topology, isotropy refers to the uniformity in all directions within the torus, while in other topologies it may refer to different aspects like curvature, connectivity, or distance.