Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Israel steps up strikes

1. Jul 13, 2006 #1

EL

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2006 #2
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/13/D8IR6J401.html

Hello WW3

4. Jul 13, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That would be consistent with Hezbollah - they apparently receive support from Iran.

I am not sure about WWIII, but it will certainly escalate hostilities in the region. :frown:

5. Jul 13, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From Greg's link:
    Oh crap!

6. Jul 13, 2006 #5
    Will escalate? :confused:
    So the attack from Israel is not an escalated hostility to you?

7. Jul 13, 2006 #6
    Deja vu all over again. Nothing new.

On topic, does anyone know what the UN military is doing in all this? Supposedly they have 2,000 peace warriors along the (very narrow) Israeli-Lebanese border, yet there's nothing in the news about what it is they do exactly. I don't think they have a specific mandate for this event?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIFIL

8. Jul 13, 2006 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

True. Here's a Timeline which describes the conflict
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/country_profiles/819200.stm

I don't know if they have a mandate for this either. Currently, they are assessing the situation.
    (from http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=54594&SelectRegion=Middle_East&SelectCountry=LEBANON)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  9. Jul 13, 2006 #8
    "The soldiers need to be returned." - Bush

What about the 10,000 Arab prisoners, including Palestinian officials, held by Israel?

10. Jul 13, 2006 #9

Evo

Were they kidnapped? If not, then it's not a valid comparison.

11. Jul 13, 2006 #10
    In most cases it is a perfectly legitimate comparison: <insert IDF or Hezbollah> storms in, overpowers, and imprisons.

12. Jul 13, 2006 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most certainly some of them were.

The Palestinian raid that produced the initial kidnapping was motivated at least partially by recent incidents in which Israelis killed Palestinian civilians.

Palestianians kill Israeli civilians. Israelis kill Palestinian civilians. Israelis kidnap Palestinians. Palestinians kidnap Israelis.

And, genetically, they are the same people.

13. Jul 13, 2006 #12

Evo

Yeah, but you don't kidnap Israeli soldiers. I don't see Israel backing down on this. I think they're all a bit crazy over there. It's frightening.

14. Jul 13, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Umm, yes the attack by Israel on Hezbollah is an escalation, as is the attack by Israel on the airports. I did not say anything to the contrary.

AFAIK, Israel only attacked because two of its soldiers were kidnapped, otherwise Israel would not be attacking the territory of Lebanon. Israel for the most part attacks when its territory or people are attacked by gunfire, bombs, rockets, . . .

I was thinking of the potential for other parties, e.g. Syria or Iran to get invovled. I think Jordan and Egyptian governments would not wish to be involved, but there will be enormous pressure from various factions in those countries to become invovled. This will certainly help al Qaida to recruit more members.

15. Jul 13, 2006 #14
    I see.

So do you consider that a hostility while Israel is simply defending itself?

16. Jul 13, 2006 #15

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree.

I had hoped that something would be worked out with respect to first kidnapped soldier, but with the players that the latest kidnappings bring onto the pitch, I have no idea where this is going.

17. Jul 13, 2006 #16
  18. Jul 13, 2006 #17

Astronuc

Apparently you don't - you keep misinterpreting my statements - apparently deliberately, which could be construed as hostile. :rolleyes:

Do I consider what a hostility?

Certainly kidnapping is a hostile act. Shooting and firing rockets at people is a hostile act, when it is not in self-defense.

Do I necessarily agree with Israel's position? No, not entirely.

Do I believe that Israel has the right to defend itself? Certainly, as does any other people.

Do I believe that the Palestinians have the right of self-determination, as well as the right to have their own state? Certainly.

I think Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad, and a host of other organizations need to renounce violence and stop attacking Israel. I think Israel should show more restraint in certain cases.

19. Jul 13, 2006 #18
    First kidnapping was by militants associated with Hamas (Palestinian group), the new one was carried out by Hezbollah (Lebanese). Hezbollah is strongly affiliated with Iran (wiki), which makes this conflict very interesting.

20. Jul 13, 2006 #19
    Here's an interesting bit of analysis:
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1107AP_Lebanon_Mood.html

21. Jul 13, 2006 #20
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?