Israel Wilson Perjes Metric: Tetrad Formalism Reference

In summary: I will try to do that. I also want to understand the twister method better and this will help.In summary, the Israel Wilson Perjes metric can be computed using the tetrad formalism. It is easy to generalize to (Euclidean signature) IWP. The Ricci tensors can be found easily if the metric is broken down into steps.
PhyAmateur
Is there any book or reference perhaps on string theory or superstring theory or even advanced general relativity that treats the Israel Wilson Perjes metric using the tetrad formalism in details, i.e, 1-forms and so? (Not spinors methos) I have ran across many papers that just place the spin connection in a very complicated way where factors come out of the blue. I have been trying to understand the twister method and I kind of grasped it but now I want to see how does it work using vielbeins. Please any suggestion would be great!

The IWP metric tensor is very simple, it shouldn't be hard for you to compute the spin connection yourself.

Are you unsure in general how to compute the connection 1-forms from the orthonormal basis 1-forms?

I did, but calculations get really messy when you want to find the Ricci tensors, that is why I needed a guide to know if I am on the correct track.

Oh, I thought you just wanted the spin connections. Calculations always get messy when you want Ricci tensors. :D

Have you done other Ricci tensors by hand? It would definitely help to do a simpler example first. For example, the Gibbons-Hawking metrics are

$$ds^2 = \frac{1}{V} (d\psi + \vec A \cdot d \vec x)^2 + V (dx^2+dy^2+dz^2),$$
where ##V## and ##\vec A## are functions of ##(x,y,z)## only, and

$$\nabla^2 V = 0, \qquad \vec \nabla \times \vec A = \vec \nabla V.$$
Under these conditions, the Ricci tensor should vanish.

If you can do that, then it is a simple matter to generalize to (Euclidean signature) IWP:

$$ds^2 = \frac{1}{V_1V_2} (d\psi + \vec A \cdot d \vec x)^2 + V_1 V_2 (dx^2+dy^2+dz^2),$$
where

$$\nabla^2 V_1 = 0, \qquad \nabla^2 V_2 = 0,\qquad \vec \nabla \times \vec A = V_2 \, \vec \nabla V_1 - V_1 \, \vec \nabla V_2.$$
Under these conditions, the Ricci tensor should again vanish.

Likes PhyAmateur
By the way, you can find the Ricci tensors of both of these metrics very easily if you first break them up in a few steps. First find how the Ricci tensor is changed by a conformal rescaling:

$$ds^2 = \Omega^2 d\hat{s}^2$$
where ##\Omega## is some function, and you should be able to write ##R_{\mu\nu}## in terms of ##\hat{R}_{\mu\nu}##. This calculation can be done in about a page.

Next do another general calculation:

$$ds_n^2 = (d\psi + A)^2 + ds_{n-1}^2$$
where ##A## is a 1-form that is not a function of ##\psi##. Again you should be able to write ##R_{\mu\nu}^{(n)}## in terms of ##R_{\mu\nu}^{(n-1)}##. This calculation is even easier than the previous one.

Once you have these two formulas, you can combine them in various ways to obtain the Ricci tensors of the previously-mentioned metrics.

Likes PhyAmateur
Thank you a lot for the nice idea!

What is the Israel Wilson Perjes Metric?

The Israel Wilson Perjes Metric, also known as the Perjes Metric, is a mathematical tool used to describe the properties of space and time in a four-dimensional universe. It is named after the scientists who developed it: Werner Israel, Roy Wilson, and Ivan Perjes.

What is the Tetrad Formalism Reference?

The Tetrad Formalism Reference, also known as the Tetrad Formalism or the Tetrad Method, is a mathematical framework used in General Relativity to describe the properties of space and time. It involves using a set of four basis vectors, known as a tetrad, to describe the curvature of space-time.

What is the significance of the Israel Wilson Perjes Metric?

The Israel Wilson Perjes Metric is significant because it allows us to better understand the properties of space and time in a four-dimensional universe, which is essential in understanding the fundamental laws of physics. It also helps us to solve complex problems in General Relativity, such as the behavior of black holes and the evolution of the universe.

How does the Israel Wilson Perjes Metric differ from other metrics?

The Israel Wilson Perjes Metric differs from other metrics in its use of the Tetrad Formalism. This allows for a more general description of space and time, as it takes into account both the curvature of space and the rotation of the coordinate system. This makes it a more powerful tool for solving complex problems in General Relativity.

What are some real-world applications of the Israel Wilson Perjes Metric?

The Israel Wilson Perjes Metric has many real-world applications, such as in astrophysics and cosmology. It has been used to study the behavior of black holes, gravitational waves, and the evolution of the universe. It has also been used in the development of theories such as the inflationary model and the study of cosmic microwave background radiation.