Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ISS Flyover Videos

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Videos/CrewEarthObservationsVideos/ [Broken]

I saw one of these videos and they seem pretty badass. However, I was wondering, does anyone have any idea of what kind of exposure you need for those kinda videos? I'd be speechless if the exposures were the usual fraction of a second exposures you normally do and just compiles together to run at the 24-30fps. I imagine they may be a few seconds exposure, but I don't know :)

DISCUSS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wooow, very nice videos!! :!!)
    I'm impressed peng!!

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To get a good guess at the exposure, look at the stars in the background. The stars are quite faint, and do not make long streaks (but since it is video, I can't tell if they make short streaks). So the exposure can't be longer than about 10 seconds.

I can't guess what ISO the camera is using, but it seems reasonable that to get the city lights to show up brightly at that distance would be something on the order of 2-3 seconds at ISO 800 (assuming an aperture around f/2.8).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook