Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ISS High Def Earth Viewing

1. May 19, 2014 #1

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The International Space Station now has a set of High Def cameras hooked up to a live stream.

High Definition Earth Viewing

When it's on the dark side of the earth, it will often appear black. You can use this image to check it's location. Refresh the page to get the current location.

orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2014 #2
    Incredible initiative! I check in a couple times a day. Love watching how fast it's zooming around.

4. May 28, 2014 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

This is cool! I like it.

5. Jun 12, 2014 #4

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

How do I check the position of ISS at a particular time? Where can I find that?

6. Jun 12, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Right click on the image in the Borg's post, select "reload". Or do something equivalent.

7. Jun 12, 2014 #6

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

That would give me the current position. But how do I know where it will be at like 07:46 PM tomorrow?

8. Jun 12, 2014 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I think they predict these things at the Heavens Above site (from which the image is taken).

9. Jun 12, 2014 #8

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Hmm.. thanks. Yes they've got it under "satellites>ISS>visible passes". This is great, a star chart for viewing ISS!

Edit: don't forget to feed your location!

10. Jun 12, 2014 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

If you know your coordinates, you can modify your URL to get satellite information that is specific to your location. There is also a place where you can enter a city name. For example, if you wanted Iridium Flare predictions for Sydney, Australia, the URL would look like this:

http://www.heavens-above.com/IridiumFlares.aspx?Loc=Sydney&Lat=-33.883&Lng=151.217&Alt=1&TZ=AEST

Once the coordinates are in your URL, all of the predictions will be relevant to that location. It will only tell you what you can see. I haven't seen a feature that tells you where it will be at a given time.

11. Jun 14, 2014 #10

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook