1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issue of sematics

  1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    I know a reference frame moving at constant velocity is a inertial reference frame.

    Is a reference frame that is accelerating non-inertial?

    What is the name for an accelerating reference frame? (inertial?, non-inertial?, ...is there a special name for it?)
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2008 #2
    Yes, accelerating is non-inertial (no special name from what I know)
  4. Aug 13, 2008 #3
    But yet an apparent force that appears in the non-inertial frame due to its acceleration is sometimes called an inertial force. :devil:

    (Sorry to the OP if this is confusing, it's just one of those semantics things that bothered me at first when I was first learning about non-inertial frames. Anyone agree?)
  5. Aug 13, 2008 #4
    I do agree. Lets just start calling them non-inertial forces and see if it catches on.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook