Is Something Affecting the Current Flow in this Circuit Theory Lab Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the resistance of two unknown resistors using a series circuit with a 10V source and measuring the current across each resistor. The person asking the question is puzzled as to why different current values are flowing through the resistors, and is then given an explanation on how an ammeter works and how to properly measure the current and voltage in the circuit. It is also suggested to use a different ammeter as the one used may be damaged.
arkturus

Homework Statement

In last weeks lab, I was asked to find the resistance of two unknown resistors. I hooked them up in series with a 10V source and measured the current across each one. The ammeter read 5.77 mA at Rx and .014 mA at Ry. Shouldn't the ammeter have read the same value at both resistors?

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Once again, I'm puzzled as to why different current values are flowing through resistors in series with a voltage source. The same current should be flowing through everything, yes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're missing the point of how an ammeter works. To use an ammeter, you need to hook the ammeter up in series with the circuit you want to measure, so that you force all of the current to flow through the ammeter. Then the current you measure through the ammeter is the current flowing in your circuit. What it sounds like you did was to connect the ammeter across the resistor, in parallel with the resistor. Then what the ammeter is measuring is the current flowing through the ammeter, which will be different (probably very different) from the current flowing through the resistor, and will depend on the internal resistance of the ammeter.

What you need to do is:

(1) Hook up the ammeter in series with both resistors, so you know the current flowing in the circuit. The same current will be flowing through the ammeter and each of the two resistors.
(2) Connect a voltmeter in parallel to each resistor to measure the voltage across each resistor. The resistance of each resistor is then the voltage drop across it, divided by the circuit current.

also, you may want to use a different ammeter... the one you used is probably fried

Thanks a lot guys.

As a scientist, it is important to consider all factors when conducting experiments and analyzing data. In this case, it is possible that there were external factors that affected the current readings, such as fluctuations in the power source or variations in the resistors themselves. It is also important to ensure that the connections and measurements were accurate and precise. I suggest repeating the experiment with careful attention to these details to obtain more accurate results. Additionally, it may be helpful to calculate the expected current values using Ohm's Law and compare them to the measured values to identify any discrepancies. This will help in troubleshooting and understanding the underlying issue. Overall, it is important to approach scientific experiments with a critical mindset and to consider all possible explanations for unexpected results.

1. What is the purpose of a circuit theory lab?

A circuit theory lab is designed to provide hands-on experience and practical application of the principles of circuit theory. It allows students to test and analyze circuits in a controlled environment and gain a better understanding of how electrical components work together.

2. What are the common issues that arise in a circuit theory lab?

Some common issues that may arise in a circuit theory lab include faulty equipment, incorrect wiring or circuit connections, and measurement errors. These issues can affect the accuracy and reliability of the lab results and may need to be resolved before proceeding with the experiment.

3. How can I troubleshoot problems in a circuit theory lab?

If you encounter issues in a circuit theory lab, the first step is to check all the connections and ensure they are secure and correct. You can also try using different equipment or components to see if the issue persists. If the problem persists, consult with your instructor or lab technician for further assistance.

4. How can I reduce the chances of encountering problems in a circuit theory lab?

To reduce the chances of encountering problems in a circuit theory lab, it is essential to have a good understanding of the theory and concepts beforehand. Make sure to follow all instructions and procedures carefully and double-check all connections and measurements. Additionally, regularly maintain and calibrate equipment to ensure its accuracy.

5. What safety precautions should I take in a circuit theory lab?

When working in a circuit theory lab, it is crucial to follow all safety precautions to prevent any accidents or injuries. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, and ensuring all equipment is properly grounded. It is also essential to have a fire extinguisher nearby and to never work with live circuits unless trained and supervised by a qualified individual.