1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issue with kinematics task

1. May 2, 2015 #1
    Hello community. I have a task from my college and no matter how hard i tried i failed to find a solution for it. The task itself is resolvable (by drawing) but i can't figure the mathematical way to solve it. And it bothers me so bad.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So i have this kinematics mechanism. At the OA lever i have a known constant velocity, lets say - ω with direction counter clockwise around point O. I have given these dimensions: OA, AB, AD, DB1 and h aswell. My task is to determine the lowest position of element/point B1. Of course i plotted enough points and determined that (see the picture)... but there should be mathematical way to determine this. And i can't find it.

Initialy i thought... the lowest position of B1 is when OA is alongside to DB1. But i was wrong. Then i thought that if the velocity that occurs at point D is perpendicular to DB1 then the velocity at point B1 will be equal to 0. But this solution does not match with the position from the picture either. c61b0913e8ff7f0c54fdd1f710bc176a_610x0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2
    Is point D a pinned joint?

4. May 2, 2015 #3
    No, its a mobile joint. My bad, i fixed it: 8cdee899b4e775f1755113f269d2da1a_610x0.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  5. May 2, 2015 #4
    is length B1-D less than h?

6. May 3, 2015 #5

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  7. May 3, 2015 #6
    No. Here are all dimensions and values i have:

OA = 0.45m
    AB = 1.1m
    BD = 1.6m
    B1D=0.65m
    h=0.5m
    ωoa = 4 rad/s (counter clockwise)

I already plotted full cycle with 6 positions and by the lowest position of B1 there i plotted another 10-12 points near it, increasing the resolution. Thus i found (roughly) the lowest position of B1 shown on the picture up there. But i still think there has to be another - much more accurate and mathmatical way to solve this.

I think that if B1 is in the lowest position its velocity should be equal to 0. Therefore at point D velocity should be perpendicular to DB1:
    ωoa =Voa . OA We have ωoa and OA so Voa is known. If we separate vector Voa by sinα.Voa and cosα.Voa we will have at point B - ωbd=(sinα.Voa)/AB and the point D this velocity will be vector Vda=ωbd.BD=(sinα.Voa).(BD/AB) plus the other vector cosα.Voa. But when i calculate and plot them it doesnt seems to be perpendicular at all. And i cant figure it out why is that.
    f20adbd01f3bb89d589b2961bc8cf21c_610x0.jpg

8. May 3, 2015 #7
    I think your approach looks valid. However, might a simpler be simply geometrical? Can you express y in terms of θ? Then set dy/dθ=0.

9. May 3, 2015 #8
    I didn't understand you. What are y and θ?

10. May 4, 2015 #9
    y is the vertical position of point B1 and theta is the angle OA makes with the x-axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted