Partial Derivative Notation in Chemistry Thermodynamics

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary: I think it makes a lot of sense now.In summary, Mark's question is about the difference between \frac{\partial K}{\partial T} and \left(\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}\right)_P. The former is the change in K when T only changes, while the latter is the change in K when P is held constant.
danago
Gold Member
I am currently doing a class on chemical thermodynamics which involves a fair amount of calculus. So far it is going well, however i have a very quick question about the notation being used for partial derivatives.

If there is some property of a mixture, K=K(T,P), then the differential change in that propety is given by:

[tex]
dK = \left(\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}\right)_P dT + \left(\frac{\partial K}{\partial P}\right)_T dP
[/tex]

Where the subscripts T and P imply that they are being held constant. My question is -- Does the partial derivative not already imply everything except for one variable is held constant? Would [tex]\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}[/tex], by definition, be the change in K when ONLY T changes, without having to specift that P is held constant?

I guess what i am asking is -- is there is a difference between [tex]\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}[/tex] and [tex]\left(\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}\right)_P[/tex] that i was not made aware of in my first year calculus courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. The P and T subscripts seem redundant to me, for exactly the same reason you gave.

Thanks Mark for clearing that up. I find it a bit strange that the book does it, because it really just makes equations look messier than they should.

I'm open to someone who can give a justification for those subscripts.

As a justification, suppose [itex]u=y/x[/itex] and [itex]v=ux[/itex]. Is [itex]\partial v/\partial x=u[/itex] just because you only see that one occurrence of [itex]x[/itex] directly in the equation for [itex]v[/itex]? Of course not. That [itex]u[/itex] in the equation for [itex]v[/itex] is not truly an independent variable -- and neither are most of the variables involved in statistical physics.

D H said:
As a justification, suppose [itex]u=y/x[/itex] and [itex]v=ux[/itex]. Is [itex]\partial v/\partial x=u[/itex] just because you only see that one occurrence of [itex]x[/itex] directly in the equation for [itex]v[/itex]? Of course not. That [itex]u[/itex] in the equation for [itex]v[/itex] is not truly an independent variable -- and neither are most of the variables involved in statistical physics.

So are you saying that [tex]\partial v/\partial x \ne u[/tex], but [tex]\left(\partial v/\partial x\right)_u = u[/tex]? Have i understood you correctly?

Alright :smile:

Thanks for shedding some light on that

1. What is partial derivative notation in chemistry thermodynamics?

Partial derivative notation in chemistry thermodynamics is a mathematical tool used to express the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable while holding all other variables constant. In other words, it allows us to calculate how a specific variable affects the overall change in a system.

2. Why is partial derivative notation important in chemistry thermodynamics?

Partial derivative notation is important in chemistry thermodynamics because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems. It helps us to determine the effect of changing one variable on the overall system, and aids in the prediction and control of chemical reactions and processes.

3. How is partial derivative notation used in chemistry thermodynamics?

In chemistry thermodynamics, partial derivative notation is used to calculate the partial derivatives of thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy, entropy, and free energy. These derivatives are then used to determine the relationships between these properties and other variables, such as temperature and pressure.

4. What do the different symbols in partial derivative notation represent?

The symbol ∂ (pronounced "del") represents the partial derivative operator, and indicates that we are taking the derivative with respect to a specific variable. The variables following the ∂ symbol represent the variables that are being held constant in the calculation.

5. Can you provide an example of partial derivative notation in chemistry thermodynamics?

Sure, an example of partial derivative notation in chemistry thermodynamics could be calculating the change in enthalpy (∆H) with respect to temperature (T), while holding pressure (P) constant. This would be written as ∂H/∂T|P, where the vertical line indicates that the pressure is being held constant during the calculation.