1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issue with notation

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1

danago

Gold Member

I am currently doing a class on chemical thermodynamics which involves a fair amount of calculus. So far it is going well, however i have a very quick question about the notation being used for partial derivatives.

If there is some property of a mixture, K=K(T,P), then the differential change in that propety is given by:

[tex]
    dK = \left(\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}\right)_P dT + \left(\frac{\partial K}{\partial P}\right)_T dP
    [/tex]

Where the subscripts T and P imply that they are being held constant. My question is -- Does the partial derivative not already imply everything except for one variable is held constant? Would [tex]\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}[/tex], by definition, be the change in K when ONLY T changes, without having to specift that P is held constant?

I guess what i am asking is -- is there is a difference between [tex]\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}[/tex] and [tex]\left(\frac{\partial K}{\partial T}\right)_P[/tex] that i was not made aware of in my first year calculus courses?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with you. The P and T subscripts seem redundant to me, for exactly the same reason you gave.

4. Apr 8, 2010 #3

danago

Gold Member

Thanks Mark for clearing that up. I find it a bit strange that the book does it, because it really just makes equations look messier than they should.

5. Apr 8, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm open to someone who can give a justification for those subscripts.

6. Apr 8, 2010 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As a justification, suppose [itex]u=y/x[/itex] and [itex]v=ux[/itex]. Is [itex]\partial v/\partial x=u[/itex] just because you only see that one occurrence of [itex]x[/itex] directly in the equation for [itex]v[/itex]? Of course not. That [itex]u[/itex] in the equation for [itex]v[/itex] is not truly an independent variable -- and neither are most of the variables involved in statistical physics.

7. Apr 9, 2010 #6

danago

Gold Member

So are you saying that [tex]\partial v/\partial x \ne u[/tex], but [tex]\left(\partial v/\partial x\right)_u = u[/tex]? Have i understood you correctly?

8. Apr 9, 2010 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Exactly.

9. Apr 9, 2010 #8

danago

Gold Member

Alright :smile:

Thanks for shedding some light on that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook