Is Squaring the Momentum Operator the Same as Applying it Twice?

• Thread starter Sylvia Else
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum operators and their relationship to energy in quantum physics. The momentum operator is identified as the momentum-squared operator, which squares the eigenvalue of a state with definite momentum. This is demonstrated through an example of applying the momentum operator twice. The conversation ends with the understanding that readers may need to take this concept on trust until later discussions on eigenfunctions and eigenvectors.
Sylvia Else
I'm, slowly, working through "Quantum Physics" by Stephen Gasiorowicz, second edition. On page 49, he gives the equation

i[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial ψ(x, t)}{\partial t}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial ^{2}ψ(x, t)}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

He then makes the identification [itex](h/i)(\partial/\partial x) = p_{op}[/itex], which he has previously identified as the momentum operator, and rewrites the equation as

i[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial ψ(x, t)}{\partial t}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{p^2_{op}}{2m}[/itex][itex]ψ(x, t)[/itex]

Then he observes that the operator on the right (which I construe to mean [itex]p^2_{op}/2m[/itex]) is just the energy for a free particle. And that's where I get confused. As I understand it, the square of the momentum divided by twice the mass gives the energy, but [itex]p^2_{op}[/itex] isn't saying use the momentum squared, but apply the momentum operator twice.

What am I missing here?

Sylvia.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a state with a definite value of momentum. In QM, this means a state that is an eigenstate of the momentum operator. For example, a state ##\psi(x)## satisfying

##\hat{p} \psi(x) = k \psi(x)##

(where ##\hat{p}## is the momentum operator) has a momentum of ##k##. Suppose we apply the momentum operator twice:

##\hat{p}^2 \psi(x) = \hat{p} \hat{p} \psi(x) = \hat{p} (k \psi(x)) = k \hat{p} \psi(x) = k^2 \psi(x)##.

So an eigenstate of the operator ##\hat{p}## with eigenvalue ##k## is an eigenstate of the operator ##\hat{p}^2## with eigenvalue ##k^2##. The point is that applying the operator twice gives us exactly what we want: it squares the eigenvalue. We can legitimately think of the operator ##\hat{p}^2## as the "momentum-squared" operator.

OK, I can follow that, thanks. He starts discussing eigenfunctions and eigentvalues a bit later. Perhaps readers are meant to take it on trust until then.

Sylvia.

The mathematical operation of <squaring> a linear operator means <applying it twice>:

[tex] \hat{p}^2 := \hat{p}\circ\hat{p} [/tex]

(For simplicity, let's neglect hat the momentum operator is unbounded).

1. What are squaring operators?

Squaring operators are mathematical operators that are used to calculate the square of a number. The most commonly used squaring operator is the exponentiation operator, denoted by the caret (^) symbol. For example, 2^2 would result in 4.

2. What is the issue with squaring operators?

The issue with squaring operators is that they can sometimes lead to errors in calculations. This is because the order of operations matters when using multiple squaring operators in an equation. For example, 2^2 + 3 would result in 7, but (2+3)^2 would result in 25.

3. How can I avoid errors with squaring operators?

To avoid errors with squaring operators, it is important to follow the correct order of operations. This means performing any operations within parentheses first, then exponents, then multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

4. Can I use squaring operators with negative numbers?

Yes, squaring operators can be used with negative numbers. When squaring a negative number, the result will always be positive. For example, (-2)^2 would result in 4.

5. Are there other types of squaring operators besides exponentiation?

Yes, there are other types of squaring operators such as square root (√), cube (³), and higher powers (⁴, ⁵, etc.). These operators are used to calculate the square root, cube, or higher powers of a number. For example, √25 would result in 5, and 3³ would result in 27.