Issues with a modern car.

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Issues
In summary: I've had no more issues since.In summary, the car's BCM was getting a bad signal, and turning on the interior lights randomly. A fix was found by changing the fuse for the interior lights.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I drive a '99 Chrysler 300m. Recently on an hour long freeway trip the interior lights were randomly turning on, then after a random time from a few secs to minutes they would turn off. At first I thought a door ajar sensor was flaky, but then realized that the dash display did not show a door open.

I was not real concerned with this behavior until one morning I found a dead battery. Could be a lot of things, so I jumped started the car and went about my business. Next morning same thing, now I had problem. I reasoned that those blinking lights might be the source of my problem. Chilton's pointed me at the fuse for the interior lights, each night I pulled that fuse and sure enough no more battery problems. I also learned that all of these functions were controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module). Apparently it was getting a bad signal or was spontaneously producing one.

I checked some Chrysler forums and found others discussing similar problems. The most common fix was usually something to do with a bad ground. In the forums I also discovered that the trunk light was also controlled by the BCM. When we first bought the car (used) the trunk light did not work. I found a severed wire in the bundle at the flex point. I repaired that and the trunk light has worked fine since. Figuring that if it was a trouble once it might be again I reopened the bundle and inspected the wires for anything that might cause troubles. I found nothing of interest except that at one of my solder joints the end a single strand of copper was poking through the shrink wrap by something less then a mm. I did not see how that could cause a problem as there was nothing for it to touch. In any case I carefully wrapped it in several layers of black tape then re-taped the bundle and attempted to ease a bend near the trunk hinge bracket.

Well even though I really do not feel I fixed anything the lights have quit blinking. I have taken several signigant drives and it has not recurred. I have not been pulling the fuse and have had no further battery problems.

Is there anyone here that knows something about the operation of the BCM in this sort of car. Could it be that this is really fixed or is it just intermittent and waiting spontaneously fail again?

Computer science news on Phys.org
CARS HAVE WAY TOO MANY WIRES

and most of them are not in proper ducts
they just drape and snake everywhere
go on line and hunt up a full body wire schematic
hint try [carefully ] russian sites

first check clean tighten ect the GROUNDS
hint there are many of them

and then look under mats carpeting and trim panels
for wires snaking around sharp metal edges
or other wire problems

BTW the cheap but time and effort way to fix bad a harness [wire loom run]
is go to pick and pull yards and find your cars EXACT year model ect
and remove what you need and replace the whole clip to socket run of the harness
[good practice for installing on your car]

VOM with extra long wire or extenders is helpful

I would check the alternator and the voltage regulator. If you're not familiar with the workings of cars, after your car starts, your alternator acts as an electrical generator, supplying all of the juice to your car (it also recharges your battery). You have some sort of voltage regulator inline with it to ensure that everything gets its proper 12v with no spikes or valleys.

If the alternator starts to go bad, then your car will use your battery as souce of energy. With nothing to recharge your battery, it will die, and keep dying. So, if you have problems in these areas, you can get voltage spikes and things like this that can cause really weird problems with the electrical system.

So, as mentioned, make sure your battery and major components are grounded well, then take it into make sure your alternator doesn't need replaced.

Integral said:
I drive a '99 Chrysler 300m. Recently on an hour long freeway trip the interior lights were randomly turning on, then after a random time from a few secs to minutes they would turn off.

Is there anyone here that knows something about the operation of the BCM in this sort of car. Could it be that this is really fixed or is it just intermittent and waiting spontaneously fail again?

I have a 300M too. Had the same problem (except the dead battery). I joined the 300M Enthusiast's Forum, (which I highly recommmend). They suggested I play with the interior light dimmer slider. It seems to have done the trick for me.

anything over 6 years old these days is just about ready to have a lot of bits replaced.
i just replaced a relay switch on my, and its only not even 6 years old yet, not too mention all lot of other bits that have failed. Fair enough some things need to be replaced quite frequently, but these days tooo many vehicles are just built to last the warranty period.

BigFairy said:
anything over 6 years old these days is just about ready to have a lot of bits replaced.
i just replaced a relay switch on my, and its only not even 6 years old yet, not too mention all lot of other bits that have failed. Fair enough some things need to be replaced quite frequently, but these days tooo many vehicles are just built to last the warranty period.

You're kidding right? I remember, when growing up (1980s), that cars were delivered broken to start with and just got worse! reliability has increased massively over the last 20 years. I think the U.K suffered badly with British Leyland but I don't think Detroit was producing exactly, high quality iron back then either. I'd imagine the situation only improved when the Japanese demonstrated that relaibility wasn't impossible.

Integral said:
Well even though I really do not feel I fixed anything the lights have quit blinking. I have taken several signigant drives and it has not recurred. I have not been pulling the fuse and have had no further battery problems.

Good for you!

Sounds to me like it was probably a door ajar signal. Alternatively, you might look at your manual overhead light switch (usually mounted on the dash).

1. What are some common issues with a modern car?

Some common issues with modern cars include electrical problems, engine overheating, transmission failure, and sensor malfunctions. Other issues may include brake failure, tire wear, and engine misfires.

2. How do I know if my car has an electrical problem?

If your car is experiencing issues with the lights, radio, power windows, or other electrical components, it may have an electrical problem. You may also notice warning lights on the dashboard, such as the check engine light or battery light, which can indicate an electrical issue.

3. What can cause an engine to overheat?

An engine can overheat due to a variety of reasons, such as low coolant levels, a malfunctioning thermostat, a faulty water pump, or a clogged radiator. It can also be caused by external factors, like driving in hot weather or towing heavy loads.

4. How often should I get my car's transmission checked?

It is recommended to have your car's transmission checked every 30,000 miles or every two years, whichever comes first. This can help catch any potential issues early on and prevent more costly repairs in the future.

5. Can sensor malfunctions affect my car's performance?

Yes, sensor malfunctions can greatly affect a car's performance. Sensors are responsible for monitoring various systems and sending information to the car's computer. If a sensor is not working properly, it can cause issues with fuel efficiency, emissions, and overall engine performance.