1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issues with report for statics

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    Hello guys, i'm new to this forum. Ah.. i'm having a problem with statics, was supposed to pass up my lab report today but was told to redo the introduction. I was told that the introduction must mention

Static equilibrium->Newton ->motion->translation->force->center of mass
    ->rotation-> force(torque)

Now my head is like spinning non stop.. need help guys.:frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the Forums Elson,

Do you perhaps have any specific questions or specific aspects of the material that you would like explaining?
  4. Oct 5, 2006 #3
    Nah.. he asked me to talk about translation and rotation and how static equilibrium works. Anyway, here's the introduction i did. Please correct it if you find it wrong k.

Statics is the physics of keeping objects still or move at a constant velocity. An object will stay at rest if no unbalanced forces act on it which means the forces that act on the object balance each other. When an object is at rest, it is called static equilibrium, the aspect of Newton’s first law where all forces applied on an object lead to no acceleration and zero velocity. Forces that act on an object cause both translation and rotation. The translation and rotation are depending on where the forces act with respect to the centre of mass. When an object is in a state of translational static equilibrium, forces that applied on it acting through the centre of mass all balance one another. The sum of all force vectors must be zero when they act through the centre of mass. Rotation of an object is caused by a force which is called torque that does not act directly through the centre of mass of an object. To achieve static equilibrium, ???????
  5. Oct 5, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

...the object has to be in translational and rotational equilibrium, i.e. the sum of all the forces must vanish, as must the sum of all the torques of the forces with respect to any point.
  6. Oct 5, 2006 #5
    Ahha.. thanks a lot man.
  7. Oct 5, 2006 #6
    i thought that all forces balance out each other only mean net force is zero?so the net force maybe zero but it can still be moving .....right?
  8. Oct 5, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, an object will remain at rest or continue with a uniform velocity unless some net external force causes an acceleration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?