Issues with Setting Up LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Chaostamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues Latex
In summary, TeXnicCenter can't find the Adobe Reader X executable, so LaTeX can't send the files to PDF.
Chaostamer
First off, let me apologize in advance because I'm pretty sure this isn't the right forum for this question, but I've tried to find an appropriate forum and haven't had a lot of success. I know some people here have been really helpful to me in the past, so I figured that someone could at least point me to the correct forum if nothing else.

Anyway, I've been trying to set up LaTeX for my Graph Theory class. I've installed MiKTeX and TeXnicCenter, but I can't seem to successfully send my files to PDF. Specifically, I get the error message

[DocOpen("%bm.pdf")][FileOpen("%bm.pdf")]
Cannot execute the command.

I know this seems to be a common error, but I searched it for a bit online and didn't find anything that helped me with my problem. For reference, my PDF-reader is Adobe Reader X.

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about debugging but I will say that I've used both MiKTeX and TeXnicCenter (among others) and I like what I'm currently using now the best: PCTeX. Everything just...works. I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you become too frustrated with your current setup, look into PCTeX. Also, there are LaTeX forums out there somewhere with very knowledgeable posters.

Hi,

Registered here just so I could answer this one. Hope this doesn't come too late for you.

1. Open TeXnicCenter.
  2. Under the "Build" menu, choose "Define Output Profiles."
  3. Choose the profile you have been using. It is probably the one labeled "LaTeX => PDF".
  4. Now choose the tab that says "Viewer". This is where your problem is happening: TeXnicCenter can't find the viewer you're using.
  5. Next to the box labeled "Path of Executable", click the button labeled "..." and browse to the place where your copy of Adobe Reader X is installed. Click on the executable (it's called "AcroRd32").
  6. Now click the "OK" button at the bottom. Try running LaTeX on a file again. It ought to work now.

Cheers,
SLH

Thanks! I really appreciate that. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try it out anytime this week (a big test is taking my focus), but I'll take note of your advice for this weekend when I'll have the time to finally get it together with LaTeX.

Hello,

I understand that you are having trouble setting up LaTeX for your Graph Theory class. I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for your question, but I will try my best to provide some guidance.

Firstly, it is important to ensure that you have installed all necessary components for LaTeX, such as MiKTeX and TeXnicCenter. If you have already done so, it is possible that there may be an issue with the configuration of these programs.

The error message you have mentioned is a common one, and it usually occurs when there is a problem with the settings for the PDF viewer. In this case, it seems that your PDF-reader is Adobe Reader X. I would suggest checking the settings in TeXnicCenter to make sure that it is configured to use Adobe Reader X as the default PDF viewer. You may also want to try reinstalling Adobe Reader X to see if that resolves the issue.

If these steps do not work, it may be helpful to seek assistance from the support forums for MiKTeX and TeXnicCenter. These forums have a community of experienced users who may be able to provide more specific solutions to your problem.

I hope this helps and I wish you success in setting up LaTeX for your class. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out for assistance.

Best,

1. What is LaTeX and why is it commonly used in scientific writing?

LaTeX is a typesetting language that is commonly used in scientific writing due to its ability to produce high-quality documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols. It is also highly customizable and produces consistent formatting, making it easier for multiple authors to collaborate on a document.

2. What are some common issues encountered when setting up LaTeX?

Some common issues when setting up LaTeX include compatibility issues with different operating systems, missing or outdated packages, and difficulty in navigating the learning curve of the language. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the software and its resources to avoid these issues.

3. How can I troubleshoot issues with setting up LaTeX?

If you encounter issues with setting up LaTeX, first make sure you have the latest version of the software installed. You can also check for any missing or outdated packages and update them accordingly. Additionally, there are many online forums and resources available to help troubleshoot specific issues.

4. Is there a learning curve when using LaTeX for the first time?

Yes, there is a learning curve when using LaTeX for the first time. The language can be complex and may require some time to understand its syntax and commands. However, there are many tutorials and resources available to help beginners get started with using LaTeX.

5. Can I use LaTeX for other types of documents besides scientific writing?

Yes, LaTeX can be used for various types of documents, including resumes, presentations, and even novels. However, it is most commonly used in scientific writing due to its ability to handle complex equations and symbols. Other types of documents may require some extra customization and knowledge of the language.