1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It asks use remainder estimate for integral test to find series accurate to 3 dec?

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    It asks "use remainder estimate for integral test" to find series accurate to 3 dec?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It says "Use the Remainder Estimate for the Integral Test to find the sum of the following series to three decimal places of accuracy."

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{n^{3}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so my question is as follows. If it says "to 3 decimal places of accuracy," what am I finding exactly? Am I finding the sum for error<0.001? or is it error<0.0005? I ask this because an error of 0.0005 could change the round and change the third decimal place.

As for the rest of the question, I know how to do it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

Re: It asks "use remainder estimate for integral test" to find series accurate to 3 d

i have always used < 0.0005, just because of the possibility of "rounding error" changing the 3rd decimal place.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    Re: It asks "use remainder estimate for integral test" to find series accurate to 3 d

Thanks! Thats what Ill do!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook