What Degree Should I Pursue for a Career in IT and Game Design?

In summary: Buffet is an investor and Berkshire Hathaway is his company.In summary, Warren Buffet is an investor who has a company called Berkshire Hathaway and he is a very successful person.
Ryan H
Alright, I've always had a fascination with computers, as I'm sure many people out there have. My question is, what should I major in while in college so that when I graduate, I have the ability to do anything from designing video games, to being an IT guy for a major company? At the moment I'm planning on Computer Engineering, should I stick with that, or should I alter my plans?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Computer Engineering is probably your best bet...

However, if you really want to know HOW a computer works and not just WHAT a computer can do... go for a degree in Electrical Engineering with focus in Digital Electronics or Computing...

Cheers...

That's the other major I was thinking about, but which would be better for what I want to do? (Stated in post #1)

Check with the school that you are planning on attending to see if they have a dual degree program in those areas. My university had dual degrees in a couple of different areas. It added anywhere from a year to year and a half, but it meant having two degrees when you were done.

I don't know... trying to double major in 2 challenging engineering fields will be very difficult.

For what you stated... IT guy or computer game designer...

I'd definitely go with Computer Engineering.

Cheers...

If you want to design computer games or do IT work, you will have absolutely no use for a computer engineering degree -- you want a pure computer science degree. If you want to be able to design digital logic, design processors, or otherwise build or analyze hardware, then you want a computer engineering degree. If you want to work with analog electronics, power, radio, or other such technologies, you want an electrical engineering degree.

In many schools, electrical and computer engineering are not much different. Generally, fields and power classes are swapped out for programming classes, but the core of the degrees is often the same. Computer science is quite different, however, and is closer to mathematics than either of the engineering degrees.

- Warren

What does an IT guy for a major company do?

An IT guy for a major company is responsible for managing and maintaining the company's computer systems and network infrastructure. They also provide technical support for employees and ensure that all technology is secure and up-to-date.

What qualifications does an IT guy for a major company need?

An IT guy for a major company typically needs a bachelor's degree in a computer-related field, such as computer science or information technology. They should also have experience with various computer systems and networks, as well as strong problem-solving skills.

What skills are important for an IT guy for a major company to have?

An IT guy for a major company should have a strong understanding of computer hardware and software, as well as networking and security protocols. They should also have excellent communication skills and be able to work well under pressure.

What are some common challenges faced by an IT guy for a major company?

An IT guy for a major company may face challenges such as ensuring the security of the company's data and network, troubleshooting technical issues, and keeping up with constantly evolving technology. They may also have to deal with budget constraints and balancing the needs of different departments within the company.

What is the importance of an IT guy for a major company?

An IT guy for a major company plays a crucial role in ensuring the smooth operation of the company's technology infrastructure. They help keep the company's data secure, provide technical support for employees, and help the company stay up-to-date with the latest technology. Without an IT guy, the company's productivity and efficiency could be greatly impacted.