Inauguration Day 2021: Obama's 12-Hour Countdown in Washington D.C.

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Ivan is right. It's as if the US had adopted the Monty Python tag-line "and now for something completely different."
Congratulations on your new leader. I went home early from work to catch the speech, but I was left sitting in the dark due to a power-outage :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on your new president.

Congratulations people of America! I watched most of the afternoon's coverage, and I have to say Obama's speech did not disappoint! I was, however, a little surprised at the number of people booing Bush when he was introduced at the beginning. I thought it was very un-American to boo your president!

yes I was rather disappointed at the booing. A little ironic too because it is exactly the sort of behavior that Obama opposes.

cristo said:
Congratulations people of America! I watched most of the afternoon's coverage, and I have to say Obama's speech did not disappoint! I was, however, a little surprised at the number of people booing Bush when he was introduced at the beginning. I thought it was very un-American to boo your president!
Lucky it wasn't in Philadelphia. They booed Santa.

cristo said:
Congratulations people of America!

Thank you. It is a day for celebration!

I was, however, a little surprised at the number of people booing Bush when he was introduced at the beginning. I thought it was very un-American to boo your president!

While I actually agree in this particular context, I don't think you realize how much he is hated. I personally have never accepted him as my President, nor has my wife. But that is over now.

Last edited:
I’m hopeful for the next coming years, this doesn’t only affecting American people, the whole world is interacting to this candidate like never before, hope the best for you Americans …

o:)42

The booing did show a certain lack of grace, but I can't really blame them all that much.

Bush should not be confused into thinking that people were there to see him off and wave good-bye. (He should more advisedly be thankful they were separated from him by enough distance to discourage more shoe throwing.)

The country survived him, now it's time to come out of our shelters and assess the damage and get to rebuilding after the passing of Hurricane George.

The sun is out again.

Ivan Seeking said:
While I actually agree in this particular context, I don't think you realize how much he is hated.
I absolutely do! But regardless, it's not who he is, it's what he represents in the office that he holds. It reminds me of a quote from a random war film "Salute the rank, solider!"

But that is over now.
Indeed it is. Now let's look to the future!

Ivan Seeking said:
While I actually agree in this particular context, I don't think you realize how much he is hated. I personally have never accepted him as my President, nor has my wife. But that is over now.

first of all I don't really hate him. I think he is a puppet, a frontman for other people's interests... I kind of feel sorry for the guy, to be honest.

and even if he weren't, I still don't think booing was appropriate. to me, the day we move forward as a society (as human beings, not Americans, which I am not) is the day we stop reacting violently to intellectual disagreements.

In this Obama was very clear and is one of the things that I like about him: while he disagrees on almost everything with Bush and others like him, and will fight many of the ideas they stand for, he will respect them as people and will not belittle them. This is how he ran his campaign, and it will be grand if this is how he runs his presidency, and if this spirit affects people towards that way of thinking.

humanino said:
To me, this is an historical day for this reason ! I consider giving up my citizenship to become american (really)

Come on over! IIRC, I owe you a beer.

No, I have not the slightest clue, and only by reading here to I begin to realize.

Damned near any odds that you like.

humanino said:
I consider giving up my citizenship to become american (really).
You and millions of others. You'll be welcomed by millions more, once and future countrymen. But don't forget, Obama only gets eight years as President at most. You won't be marrying him, you'll be marrying us. We choose all kinds of Presidents and they may not all be to your taste. Will you still love us if they aren't?

Ivan Seeking said:
Come on over! IIRC, I owe you a beer.
The way I remember it, it was a box of belgium chocolates :tongue2:
jimmysnyder said:
Will you still love us if they aren't?
By now, I have realized that French can choose way worse presidents than Americans !

humanino said:
The way I remember it, it was a box of belgium chocolates :tongue2:

A Frenchman who asks for Belgium chocolates?! Isn't there a French law against that? But now that you mention it, these happen to be the only chocolates that we ever order.
http://www.nirvanachocolates.com/

There are reports that Ted Kennedy has collapsed at a luncheon.

misgfool said:
I'm starting to get a bit concerned. Forgive me for being blunt, but the man hasn't done anything. How could one be excited already?
There's very little to go by so far, but even that little bit looks promising, and refreshing.
President-elect Barack Obama is set to visit a gathering of House Republicans. The incoming White House chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, is in running cellphone contact with his former Congressional adversaries. Some Republicans say they hear more from the Obama team than they ever did from the Bush administration.
“The Obama transition team has reached out to Republicans and they got their fingers burnt by Democrats,” said Representative Adam H. Putnam of Florida, a former member of the Republican leadership. He said the continuing conversation is “not only a test to see if Republicans will genuinely engage in collaboration with the Obama administration, but it is also a test to see if Democratic leadership will tolerate collaboration.”
“I think they have been pretty impressive,” said Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader. “They are saying all the right things, and I think they did themselves some good in the briefing.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/us/politics/20repubs.html

So far, at least, Obama and his team have been showing a concerted effort to reach across a severe partisan divide. Obama himself has been seeking advice from election adversary, John McCain, in addition to honoring his service in an event this weekend.
Washington, D.C. (AHN) - On the eve of his inauguration, President-elect Barack Obama chose to spend time honoring Americans whose public service has been dedicated to "bipartisan achievement." One of these was his formerly bitter rival, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ).

In the first of three private "bipartisan" dinners, Obama heaped praise on McCain, calling the two-time presidential contender "an American hero I have come to know very well and admire very much."

"On this night, we are glad that the days of rebuttals and campaigning are for now behind us," he said. "There is no doubt that throughout the summer and the fall, John and I were fierce competitors who engaged in a vigorous and sometimes heated debate over the issues of the day. And in a great democracy, this debate is both healthy and necessary."

"But what is even healthier and more necessary is the recognition that after the season of campaigning has ended, each of us in public life has a responsibility to usher in a new season of cooperation built on those things we hold in common. Not as Democrats. Not as Republicans. But as Americans," the President-elect added.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7013770747

So far, that looks like a positive start, wouldn't you say?

You may, if you wish, compare that with the first meeting that (then) President-elect Bush had with (then) Senate minority leader, Tom Daschle:
As president-elect, Bush did pay a visit to Daschle’s office in December. At the meeting, Daschle said, Bush told him: “There’s only one thing that I ask you. I hope you never lie to me.” Daschle replied that he had two requests of his own. “I hope you never lie to me, and I hope we each can respect each other’s views.”

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/apr/23/news/mn-54485

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
A Frenchman who asks for Belgium chocolates?! Isn't there a French law against that?
I reckon that there is no place like Belgium for chocolate, beer, and political mess.

jimmysnyder said:
You and millions of others. You'll be welcomed by millions more, once and future countrymen. But don't forget, Obama only gets eight years as President at most. You won't be marrying him, you'll be marrying us. We choose all kinds of Presidents and they may not all be to your taste. Will you still love us if they aren't?

I would say that you are marrying the Constitution. That is why men and woman pledge to die for this country if needed. But don't worry Humanino. As long as you don't join the Army you'll be fine. You don't plan to join the Army, do you?

I reckon?

Ivan Seeking said:
I reckon?
Oh that was funny :rofl:
I'm not sure I should display my opinion on that.

Ivan Seeking said:
I reckon?
Too many John Wayne movies, I reckon... :devil:

humanino said:
By now, I have realized that French can choose way worse presidents than Americans !
I think that's a great endorsement for the American people, but I don't know how French Americans feel about it.

humanino said:
To me, this is an historical day for this reason ! I consider giving up my citizenship to become american (really).No, I have not the slightest clue, and only by reading here to I begin to realize. But I truly hope he is not just the first black president. I hope he is the last one. I hope from now one, the candidate will not be blue or green, man or woman, tall or short, fat or skinny, chess or go players, cheese or ice cream lovers... I hope people will think about candidates in terms of ideas and projects only.

It's impossible to ignore the historical significance of race in this inauguration, but, yes, I'll be glad when we move on to the actual governing part of Obama being President.

mgb_phys said:
Do you think a black man was more/less likely than a white woman? Could Hillary have won it?

I would say a woman President was more likely based on the fact that there are more women in elected offices than blacks. I guess Clinton could be considered the most likely woman candidate, since her husband was a former President - the first three women governors in the US succeeded their husbands into office. I don't think that would have been a great precedent to follow.

The stock markets aren't reacting in a too cheerful way.

Dow Jones Industrial Average
7,985.97 -295.25 / -3.57%

Nasdaq Composite Index
1,455.52 -73.81 / -4.83%

It was the first inauguration sense Nixon, that I truly enjoyed watching. Everything {ahumm except the poem} was just as it should be. I hope he has a great 4 years.

Whewww! Thank God they got back in the car!

I was thinking that I was worrying too much when David Gergen let out a huge sigh of relief. Apparently Jessie Jackson did as well.

misgfool said:

Nasdaq Composite Index
1,455.52 -73.81 / -4.83%
I can remember when Bush was President, the market would be up somedays, down others, but I can't remember the market ever being up during the Obama administration.

misgfool said:

Nasdaq Composite Index
1,455.52 -73.81 / -4.83%
Dow Finished - 4:04PM ET: 7,949.09 332.13 (4.01%)

Apparently the markets are very nervous about more bank failures, or excessive losses.

misgfool said:

Nasdaq Composite Index
1,455.52 -73.81 / -4.83%
Nonsense! The markets are reacting to the Obama inauguration about as much as the weather in Honolulu is!

Dow plummets 332 on bank worries

As the nation's 44th president took office from George W. Bush and walked up Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House on a cold, sunny afternoon, deepening fears about financial companies battered stocks to two-month lows.
Financial stocks were by far the biggest losers today after money management firm State Street (STT, news, msgs) disclosed large unrealized losses and Wells Fargo (WFC, news, msgs) was hit by an analyst downgrade.

State Street was down 57.3% to $15.53. Wells Fargo was down 23% to $14.37 after Friedman, Billings, Ramsey's Paul Miller said the company needs to boost capital. It also may have to cut its dividend.

Bank of America (BAC, news, msgs) fell 29% to $5.10, the worst performer among the 30 Dow stocks, after one analyst predicted it would need to raise $80 billion in new capital.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/market-dispatches-012009.aspx

jimmysnyder said:
I can remember when Bush was President, the market would be up somedays, down others, but I can't remember the market ever being up during the Obama administration.
It was! You just weren't paying enough attention.

At 11:55 am, the Dow was at 8122.64, at 12:00 noon, it was at 8144.95, at 12:10 pm it was at 8155.14.

Obama became President at noon.

The markets being down are Wall streets way of begging for more bail out money.

The last time the Dow was in the 7's was just before the first bail out installment was rushed through.

Good luck Americans, I wish you the best and hope Obama will raise your country to the lead again :smile:

lisab said:
I believe she could have, but the country would not be as united as it is now. The feeling of unity is really amazing...all but the most stubborn right wingers are excited about this day.

Ivan Seeking said:
Some hard lefties are unhappy as well. If both extremes are unhappy, we are on the right track.

This is ridiculous. I'm a centrist classical liberal, and I'm NOT excited at all! I think this is a ridiculous personality cult surrounding a highly unremarkable lawyer-turned-politician. I think is baffling how far the hype has gone over a load of empty, meaningless stagecraft and rhetoric. I can hardly wait for the bubble to pop, for the press to return to the cynical disillusionment of politics-as-usual.

Seriously, where do you get this poppycock about "excitement" and "optimism"? The choreographed parades? The paid PR hacks on the telly?

:grumpy:

mgb_phys said:
Do you think a black man was more/less likely than a white woman? Could Hillary have won it?

Well, looking up dates on wikipedia, the 15th amendment allowed black men to vote in 1870, whereas women did not get the vote until the 19th in 1920. So at this rate of progress, the US will have their first woman president sometime around... 2060. :uhh:

signerror said:
So at this rate of progress, the US will have their first woman president sometime around... 2060. :uhh:

Hilary won't wait that long.

misgfool said:
I'm starting to get a bit concerned. Forgive me for being blunt, but the man hasn't done anything. How could one be excited already?

Good question: how could one be excited?

It's not really fair to point out he hasn't done anything, because he didn't even finish a single term in Congress. Of course that's a WTF of its own...