Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It is posible to make an rc car using a UPS(ones you use in your pc)as power suply?

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    I want to make an rc electric toy car using a UPS as power suply. It is possible?

Some advices please.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Re: It is posible to make an rc car using a UPS(ones you use in your pc)as power supl

Yes, you probably could do that, but why would you?

UPS's give out 120 volts or 240 volts (depending on where you live) and this is produced from a 12 volt or similar battery.

So, your car would have to run off 120 volts or 240 volts and also carry all the weight of a UPS with it.

It would be better to just run your RC car off a 12 V battery.

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3
    Re: It is posible to make an rc car using a UPS(ones you use in your pc)as power supl

Sorry for my ignorance but 120 to 240 volts doesent mean more power?

5. Sep 5, 2010 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Not necessarily.

If the power is coming from a battery at 12 volts and being converted to 120 or 240 volts, then power is lost in the process. It is lost as heat.
    So you end up with less power than if you just ran the motor on 12 volts (assuming it is a 12 volt motor). This means the battery would not last as long if it was being used to produce 120 or 240 volts.

All this depends on the motors being of similar efficiency. There may be some advantage in using a higher voltage motor, but probably not for a toy car.

Real electric hybrid cars like the Prius use a large number of batteries to directly produce high voltage to run a high voltage motor.

6. Sep 5, 2010 #5

By UPS, do you mean the things that power your computer when the power goes out (and weigh a friggin ton), or simply the PSU that has +5V and +12V rails (and sometimes -5V or -12V) that operate on 120V AC (wall outlet)?

7. Sep 5, 2010 #6

The first one xD

8. Sep 5, 2010 #7

The thing is this:

-I totally hate toxic batteries that contain lead,mercury, cadmium etc. . So maybe is better to make a llithium ion rechargeable battery wich i think is not that bad for the enviroment. I was thinking in UPS becouse of that.

9. Sep 5, 2010 #8

Hey in wich career i could investigate more about electric veichule technolgy
    in Chemistry career or Electrical Engineering? Please is urgent i only left 1 month to decide career xD

10. Sep 5, 2010 #9

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Lead metal gets bad publicity it probably doesn't deserve.
    I would be more worried about the Sulfuric Acid in Lead Acid batteries. Lead metal is not really a problem as it takes centuries to oxidise to Lead salts in the atmosphere and it is not toxic as a metal.
    Long before that happens, the lead could be recycled. It is too useful and scarce to be allowed to decompose in land fill.

I know of some lead lettering on a gravestone and it has hardly changed in 40 years, so it isn't really a hazard to anyone.

Can't (and shouldn't) try to advise you on a career. You would need a counsellor to consider your progress so far and what you really want to do.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  11. Sep 6, 2010 #10

Electrical Vehicle Technology? Almost certainly EE. Unless you want something specific like the photovoltaic cell design, which I wanted to do (in Chemistry) at one point.

A UPS contains a Lead-Acid Battery. Not a lithium-ion (or at least the ones I have seen). a 9.6V Lithium Ion, regulated to 12V? would probably be an effective means of powering your RC car :)

12. Sep 9, 2010 #11

Are you a chemist?

13. Sep 9, 2010 #12

Nope, Computer Eng student >.> Haven't started 2nd year though, heh...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook