Can a UPS be used to power an RC car? Tips from a Computer Eng student

In summary: Thanks for the input though! Nope, Computer Eng student >.> Haven't started 2nd year though, heh...Thanks for the input though!
AlexES16
I want to make an rc electric toy car using a UPS as power suply. It is possible?

Some advices please.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Yes, you probably could do that, but why would you?

UPS's give out 120 volts or 240 volts (depending on where you live) and this is produced from a 12 volt or similar battery.

So, your car would have to run off 120 volts or 240 volts and also carry all the weight of a UPS with it.

It would be better to just run your RC car off a 12 V battery.

vk6kro said:
Yes, you probably could do that, but why would you?

UPS's give out 120 volts or 240 volts (depending on where you live) and this is produced from a 12 volt or similar battery.

So, your car would have to run off 120 volts or 240 volts and also carry all the weight of a UPS with it.

It would be better to just run your RC car off a 12 V battery.

Sorry for my ignorance but 120 to 240 volts doesent mean more power?

Not necessarily.

If the power is coming from a battery at 12 volts and being converted to 120 or 240 volts, then power is lost in the process. It is lost as heat.
So you end up with less power than if you just ran the motor on 12 volts (assuming it is a 12 volt motor). This means the battery would not last as long if it was being used to produce 120 or 240 volts.

All this depends on the motors being of similar efficiency. There may be some advantage in using a higher voltage motor, but probably not for a toy car.

Real electric hybrid cars like the Prius use a large number of batteries to directly produce high voltage to run a high voltage motor.

By UPS, do you mean the things that power your computer when the power goes out (and weigh a friggin ton), or simply the PSU that has +5V and +12V rails (and sometimes -5V or -12V) that operate on 120V AC (wall outlet)?

Wetmelon said:
By UPS, do you mean the things that power your computer when the power goes out (and weigh a friggin ton), or simply the PSU that has +5V and +12V rails (and sometimes -5V or -12V) that operate on 120V AC (wall outlet)?

The first one xD

The thing is this:

-I totally hate toxic batteries that contain lead,mercury, cadmium etc. . So maybe is better to make a llithium ion rechargeable battery which i think is not that bad for the enviroment. I was thinking in UPS becouse of that.

Hey in which career i could investigate more about electric veichule technolgy
in Chemistry career or Electrical Engineering? Please is urgent i only left 1 month to decide career xD

AlexES16 said:
The thing is this:

-I totally hate toxic batteries that contain lead,mercury, cadmium etc. . So maybe is better to make a llithium ion rechargeable battery which i think is not that bad for the enviroment. I was thinking in UPS becouse of that.

Lead metal gets bad publicity it probably doesn't deserve.
I would be more worried about the Sulfuric Acid in Lead Acid batteries. Lead metal is not really a problem as it takes centuries to oxidise to Lead salts in the atmosphere and it is not toxic as a metal.
Long before that happens, the lead could be recycled. It is too useful and scarce to be allowed to decompose in land fill.

I know of some lead lettering on a gravestone and it has hardly changed in 40 years, so it isn't really a hazard to anyone.Can't (and shouldn't) try to advise you on a career. You would need a counsellor to consider your progress so far and what you really want to do.

Last edited:

AlexES16 said:
Hey in which career i could investigate more about electric veichule technolgy
in Chemistry career or Electrical Engineering? Please is urgent i only left 1 month to decide career xD

Electrical Vehicle Technology? Almost certainly EE. Unless you want something specific like the photovoltaic cell design, which I wanted to do (in Chemistry) at one point.A UPS contains a Lead-Acid Battery. Not a lithium-ion (or at least the ones I have seen). a 9.6V Lithium Ion, regulated to 12V? would probably be an effective means of powering your RC car :)

Wetmelon said:
Electrical Vehicle Technology? Almost certainly EE. Unless you want something specific like the photovoltaic cell design, which I wanted to do (in Chemistry) at one point.

A UPS contains a Lead-Acid Battery. Not a lithium-ion (or at least the ones I have seen). a 9.6V Lithium Ion, regulated to 12V? would probably be an effective means of powering your RC car :)

Are you a chemist?

AlexES16 said:
Are you a chemist?

Nope, Computer Eng student >.> Haven't started 2nd year though, heh...

1. Can a UPS be used as a power supply for an RC car?

Yes, it is possible to use a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) as a power supply for an RC car. However, there are some limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

2. How does a UPS work as a power supply for an RC car?

A UPS is designed to provide backup power to devices in case of a power outage. It converts AC power from an outlet into DC power, which is then stored in a battery. This DC power can be used to power an RC car's motor and electronics.

3. What are the limitations of using a UPS as a power supply for an RC car?

One limitation is the voltage output of a UPS. Most UPS units have a voltage output of 12V, which may not be sufficient for some high-powered RC cars. Additionally, the battery capacity of a UPS may not be enough to sustain prolonged use of an RC car.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a UPS as a power supply for an RC car?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider. The battery in a UPS can produce high levels of current, which can be dangerous if mishandled. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and make sure the RC car is properly insulated from the battery and any exposed wires.

5. Can a UPS be used for other types of RC vehicles?

Yes, a UPS can be used for other types of RC vehicles, such as drones or boats. However, as mentioned before, it is important to consider the voltage output and battery capacity of the UPS to ensure it is suitable for the specific RC vehicle's power requirements.