1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It is really sprrrrrrrrrrings

1. Jan 19, 2004 #1
    inclined frictionless surface, end of string attached to polly (polly at top of the incline), and other end attached to a mass(m) and mass is attahed to one end of a spring, and the other end is attached to incline base
    A polly has radius (R) and moment of inertia (I), the surface is frictionless. The polly is wound clockwise to stretch the spring a distance (d) from its unstretched position and then released from rest. Find the angular speed when the spring is again unstretched or compressed.

(E)final = (E)initial
    final[(0.5)mv^2 + (0.5)(I)w^2 + mgh + (0.5)kd^2] = initial [(0.5)mv^2 + (0.5)(I)w^2 + mgy + (0.5)kd^2]

where (w) is omega, (y) is inital vertical distance from object to ground
    and (h) is final vertical distance from object to ground
    v(initial)=0 , w(initial)=0 , v=Rw

from that:

w = sqrt [(2mg(h-y) + kd^2) / (mR^2 + I)]

is that right ??????? please i really need to know
    thnx alot for any efforts
    if u know how can i attach image file please inform me
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

A picture would help. Use the "attach file" feature. (Edit your post; then use the feature to attach a file.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?