Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It is snowing

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Yes the white stuff is falling on knightcote :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow - I'm in Canada and I'm looking at another 2months before I can get the skis out.

4. Oct 28, 2008 #3
    I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and we only got a little snow so far, none of which stayed. Hooray for global warming!!!!

5. Oct 28, 2008 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here it's still 85 degrees. :P

6. Oct 28, 2008 #5
    Yesterday morning on my way to work it snowed. It melted about as quickly as it fell, but it does count as our first snow.

7. Oct 28, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Ay up, have you Canidainians been nicking our carbon.

8. Oct 28, 2008 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

We might get snow this evening. We have a 'Winter Storm' at the moment - rain, gusty winds, downed trees.

Umm - Adirondaks are supposed to 1 foot of snow - tonight.

9. Oct 28, 2008 #8
    It had been snowing earlier, but not enought to stick. I wish they had let us off work early anyway so we could get to the stadium and watch the Phillies win the Series. After all, it wouldn't be the first time.

10. Oct 28, 2008 #9
    Here in upstate NY it changed over to snow, but nothing is accumulating yet. Forecasts say it will change to all snow after 10pm and 1-3 inches is possible. As pointed out on one of the meteorology forums, this storm would of been a monster a couple of months later. Probably have 10" on the ground by now.

Lots of wind tonight too. Gusts up to 45mph. I hope the power doesn't go out.

11. Oct 28, 2008 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Take pictures Wolram!

12. Oct 28, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

We'll get flurries and mixed precipitation in the near-term, but probably nothing that stays, apart from the higher elevations. The Western mountains are already getting some natural snow regularly enough (and cold day-time temps) that allow snow-making on ski slopes. It's not good snow, as any skier can tell you, but a cold, dense, frozen base allows the groomers to make the best of any natural snow that comes later.

13. Oct 28, 2008 #12
    I had heard flurries for today all week (in New Jersey), but once the snow started falling, it wouldn't stop for about five hours. We got a few inches of it, and the roads were closed for half the day--though that may have been more to do with the plows not being prepared than the amount of snow.

14. Oct 28, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We got flurries at lunch time today. :yuck: Nasty, disgusting, icky weather today! This is really below normal temperatures today, windy and rainy, mixed with some flurries. Bleck. The rest of the week is supposed to return to more normal temperatures for this time of year.

15. Oct 28, 2008 #14
    Been snowing since Sunday :(

16. Oct 28, 2008 #15
    I'm feeling the summer heat coming on pretty soon.

Btw it snowed in the Blue Mountains the other day, apparently.

17. Oct 28, 2008 #16
    We got up to about +15C here in Edmonton today.

18. Oct 28, 2008 #17

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We even got snow for a brief but glorious moment in Oxford today

19. Oct 28, 2008 #18

wolram

Gold Member

It did not settle much, there are only a few patches.

20. Oct 28, 2008 #19

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, are you in the north? We had snow (Mercer County, central NJ) but no accumulation.

21. Oct 29, 2008 #20
    Yeah, I'm in Morris County, but we only got a few inches here, and a lot of it has melted at this point. I hear that High Point (highest elevation in the state) got 14 inches though. :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?