1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It seems so easy but

1. Sep 28, 2004 #1
    The Question: To lift a patient, four nurses grip the sheet on which the patient is lying and lift upward. If each nurse exerts an upward force of 240N and the patient has an upward acceleration of 0.504m/s^2, what is the weight of the patient?
    Okay so I figure the equation you need to use is F=ma, but you need the weight, not the mass, so I look in my book and find that w=mg. Solving for m, you get m=w/g. Sticking that into F=ma you get F=(w/g)a. Am I right so far?

So with all that I get w=(F/a)g ...am I right?

So plugging in the junk (and I'm not so sure about this anyway)... you get w=(240N/0.504m/s^2)(9.8m/s)=4666.67 (not so sure about the label) and that seems to be a little too much for one dude.

So I guess my questions are: do you have to account for the 4 nurses in any way? Do I have the right idea about plugging the weight equation in? What am I doing wrong? Please point me in the right direction!! -Pam
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If each nurse exerts 240 N force on the patient what is the total force they exert on the patient? What is the total force acting on the patient?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?