Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It wasn't me it was my brain

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    Has anyone Benjamin Libet's work on free will (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Libet is a brief summary). Does anyone know of any objections to why his work does not suggest that all behavior is brain based. Does it seem really weird to anyone one else that all this I/ you are doing could be physically based?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

We had a couple of threads on Libet's work a few months ago. It does indeed throw a challenge to the concept of free will.
  4. Aug 29, 2005 #3
    As usual, everyone is overlookign the fact that Libet himself does not draw
    an anti-free-will conclusions. Readiness potentials are not always followed
    by actions, which Libet considers as constituing a veto or "free won't".
  5. Aug 29, 2005 #4

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

I don't see a basis for the leap from Libet's study to the conclusion that human behavior is only brain-based. So what if part of the biological system is programmed or reactive, that doesn't mean all of consciousness is. To me it is logical that the physical system could react without conscious direction to help with survival (isn't the autonomic system doing some of that?). So if my hand wants to move before I will it to, that might just be my autoreact system beating out my will system.
  6. Aug 29, 2005 #5
    Thanks, i found the previous thread, very interesting
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?