Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It Works

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    It Works!!!

I went out and bought a Nintendo Wii Remote, a golf glove, an Infra Red LED and a small battery and set it up.

My Computer screen is now a touch screen!

Since my computer does not have blue tooth, I had to buy a USB Dongle. The total cost was $91.09

The cool factor is priceless!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

JaredJames

Gold Member

Re: It Works!!!

Seriously? What size screen you got? Will it work on mine at 22"?

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3

A billion inches.

Edit: someone deleted their post before this one....................jared I'm looking in your direction. I'm not going to say any names, but I think you might know him.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  5. Jun 19, 2009 #4

JaredJames

Gold Member

Alright, so does it work or not, the vids one thing but have you actually tried it?

6. Jun 19, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Reading comprehension 0/10.

Oh and go to hell cyrus.

I'm gonna do this.

7. Jun 19, 2009 #6

JaredJames

Gold Member

Given your usual level of sarcasm, I thought you were mocking it.

8. Jun 19, 2009 #7

Don't do it Pengwuino. This is way beyond your level of coolness to attempt.

9. Jun 19, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

i will start tomorrow!!!!!!

You will all fear me and my wii!!!!!

10. Jun 19, 2009 #9

When you're setting it up, make sure you point the laser in your eye and stare at it for a good 10 mins. That's the only way to see the infra red.

11. Jun 19, 2009 #10

JaredJames

Gold Member

I do apologise for that one cyrus, I meant to delete the one which said "compensating for something are we?" which was after the billion inches one, but ended up hitting the wrong post.

12. Jun 19, 2009 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Waves magic wand...

13. Jun 19, 2009 #12

JaredJames

Gold Member

Nicely done there. Ta

14. Jun 19, 2009 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok so Cyrus, what did you use the golf glove for? sicko.

15. Jun 19, 2009 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wait, do I need to know C or VB to do this crap? >:(

16. Jun 19, 2009 #15

JaredJames

Gold Member

The golf glove replaces the marker pen, you attach the infra red led and battery to the glove. From what I can see, you attach the wii remote to the pc via bluetooth and then run standard electronic whiteboard software to calibrate it along with his custom software to run it.

17. Jun 19, 2009 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok i have an idea. What if you made a 3-laser pen. 2 IR lasers and 1 red laser, all low-powered of course. The red laser would act as a pointer and I wonder if you could get the software to somehow differentiate between each IR laser and you could make like a right click and left click pen! I really don't think you could do that but...? Otherwise you could just use 2 lasers and have a simple left-click.

What I'm imagining is working with a computer from a distance instead of having to be up at the projected image. It would replace people having to be at their computer messing with things too. Then again I think that's probably a marginal convenience haha.

Ok lets start figuring out other uses for this.

STICKY STICKY STICKY!

If you could just strap on the wii remote to one of those mini-projectors, you can have a whiteboard wherever you go! Use it with the laser pen and you could like... "air write".

hehe, strap on.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  18. Jun 19, 2009 #17

JaredJames

Gold Member

Umm, how would air writing work? The way I see it is that the wii remote picks up the infra red dot on the board/monitor. To air write you would have to face the remote which would invert all your movements, so you would write backwards.

19. Jun 19, 2009 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It's the same concept. The laser would be pointed at the projected image. The only difference is instead of being up close as if it were a whiteboard, you could be far back because the laser.... well... is a laser. You wouldn't have to worry about getting in the way of the sensor. You could sit like, in your chair behind the projector and just point the lasers towards the projected image and write in the air.

The red laser would just basically be a visual guide so you know where you're pointing. I'm not too sure how well it would work considering when I see people use laser pointers from a distance during presentations, it's a pretty shaky affair. Then again that might be because they're trying to be as straight as possible instead of getting to freely move around trying to write.

20. Jun 19, 2009 #19

Should have gotten a power glove instead.
    power_glove.jpg

21. Jun 19, 2009 #20

I don't care if that's from the 1980s, that's still futuristic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook