It would be really nice if President Obama and his adminstration read these threads

• News
  • Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
Perhaps then he might get a clue, and start acting on the inputs of the best and the brightest out here on the Internet. Even though we might disagree, we do so intelligently.

Given what he's done so far, I haven't the slightest clue as to what he's acting on.

Answers and Replies

DevilsAvocado
Gold Member

Given what he's done so far, I haven't the slightest clue as to what he's acting on.
That’s because you underestimate President Obama’s intelligence, and overestimate some PF users.

Evo
Mentor

That’s because you underestimate President Obama’s intelligence, and overestimate some PF users.
:biggrin:

russ_watters
Mentor

Most arrogant thread of the day.

OmCheeto
Gold Member

Zip!

muffle muffle muffle!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I actually know him. I don't think I'm "underestimating" anything.

DevilsAvocado
Gold Member

Most surprising thread of the day.

I'm sorry, but I actually know him. I don't think I'm "underestimating" anything.
go on...

I think he would get a kick out of it.

Char. Limit
Gold Member

Please. The PF P&WA people are far too smart for any politician to understand us.

Most arrogant thread of the day.
Hmmm, do you count content or just newly made threads? If it's content, a bunch of amateurs and armchair economists passionately denouncing the president of the US is probably far more arrogant than a simple desire to be heard.

This is supposed to be something of an internet brain-trust after all... if not the PF mentors, then who... right? I know when I want my social and economic problems solved, I look first to the engineers and physicists! :biggrin:

Pengwuino
Gold Member

Please. The PF P&WA people are far too smart for any politician to understand us.
And penguins

If I had a signature, it would just be: "and penguins", along the lines of adding, "in bed" to fortune cookie. :biggrin:

On a more realistic, and perhaps also more interesting, note, I would think it would be very cool if the opposite happened, i.e. the ruling people came here to tell us what they were really thinking. There's been so many times where I've just thought that persons like Obama must act the way they do in certain situations just because they have access to more information about the issue then we have. I would love to understand what actually lead them to certain decisions, and what their honest thoughts are on how to best organize our future society (not what they say in media).

On a more realistic, and perhaps also more interesting, note, I would think it would be very cool if the opposite happened, i.e. the ruling people came here to tell us what they were really thinking. There's been so many times where I've just thought that persons like Obama must act the way they do in certain situations just because they have access to more information about the issue then we have. I would love to understand what actually lead them to certain decisions, and what their honest thoughts are on how to best organize our future society (not what they say in media).
I'm not sure you'd be comforted by honest answer to the motivations of ANYONE who reaches such high office.

I'm not sure you'd be comforted by honest answer to the motivations of ANYONE who reaches such high office.
That's ok though, because my main interest in general is not being comforted, but to understand how things really work :wink:

That's ok though, because my main interest in general is not being comforted, but to understand how things really work :wink:
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/dsm-iv/content/article/10168/54831

Dr Robert Hare said:
Camouflage Society
In my book, Without Conscience, I argued that we live in a "camouflage society," a society in which some psychopathic traits- egocentricity, lack of concern for others, superficiality, style over substance, being "cool," manipulativeness, and so forth- increasingly are tolerated and even valued. With respect to the topic of this article, it is easy to see how both psychopaths and those with ASPD could blend in readily with groups holding antisocial or criminal values. It is more difficult to envisage how those with ASPD could hide out among more prosocial segments of society. Yet psychopaths have little difficulty infiltrating the domains of business, politics, law enforcement, government, academia and other social structures (Babiak). It is the egocentric, cold-blooded and remorseless psychopaths who blend into all aspects of society and have such devastating impacts on people around them who send chills down the spines of law enforcement officers.
This is just opinion, but it's something that's been noted as the understanding of AsPD has grown. People who seek adrenaline thrills without regard for their own health, the impact on others... politicians from the obvious (Blagojevich) to the more subtle who merely display AsPD traits, or something in the spectrum of NPD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military%E2%80%93industrial_complex" [Broken]

Dwight D. Eisenhower said:
A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/dsm-iv/content/article/10168/54831

This is just opinion, but it's something that's been noted as the understanding of AsPD has grown. People who seek adrenaline thrills without regard for their own health, the impact on others... politicians from the obvious (Blagojevich) to the more subtle who merely display AsPD traits, or something in the spectrum of NPD.
Wow, I'm quite amazed that what I thought was a pretty innocent sentence, sparked that response (though I'm not offended). I am however curious if wanting to know how things work more than wanting to be comforted (tbh, I consider it a comfort to know how things work, so that I can predict them), is really sticking out that much as anti-social behavior?

Hmmm, do you count content or just newly made threads? If it's content, a bunch of amateurs and armchair economists passionately denouncing the president of the US is probably far more arrogant than a simple desire to be heard.
As a reader of The Economist and The Wall Street Journal (two of the less fluffier publications), I find many of this "bunch of amateurs and armchair economists" a savvy about that which they speak.

This is supposed to be something of an internet brain-trust after all... if not the PF mentors, then who... right? I know when I want my social and economic problems solved, I look first to the engineers and physicists! :biggrin:
Good logic. In the same vein, why did we vote for a lawyer and neophyte politician to lead our country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megyn_Kelly" [Broken]for President! Interestingly, she has a nearly identical education as our President, but a totaly different point of view. Funny how that works...

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Perhaps then he might get a clue, and start acting on the inputs of the best and the brightest out here on the Internet.
The bold part made my day, no my week!

OmCheeto
Gold Member

Perhaps then he might get a clue, and start acting on the inputs of the best and the brightest out here on the Internet. Even though we might disagree, we do so intelligently.

Hey! I think someone in the White House just read your thread.

"[URL [Broken]
Advise the Advisor[/URL]

Advise the Advisor is a new program to help senior staff at the White House stay connected to the American people. Think of this as your direct line to the some of the President's senior advisors at the White House.
Don't make him read through all the arguments though. Just tell him how he should run the country.

:smile: