Are the Italian hostages released from Iraq finally safe?

• News
  • Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, amidst the chaos and violence in Iraq caused by terrorists, there is a glimmer of hope as two women have been released from captivity. The Italian government has reportedly paid a ransom of $1 million for their release, causing controversy and concern over the potential increase in ransom prices. Meanwhile, Tony Blair is negotiating for the release of an English hostage, but the price for human life continues to rise. The women who were freed had some insight on their captors and the general situation in Iraq, as reported in an article from the New York Times.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Amidst all the murder and mayhem going on in Iraq due to terrorists, I guess I feel some relief that these poor women came out of their nightmare alive:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/24/iraq/main541815.shtml

Physics news on Phys.org
And do you think the italian government acted rightly paying $$1million for releasing them?.

Hmm..if they did, it would certainly be problematic.

It is said in Italy by journalists that Berlusconi did so.

And now Tony Blair is trying to deal with the kidnappers of the english hostage. But I think he will to offer more $$ for him, because the price of a human being is going up now.

I thought Italy denied paying a ransom?

Every time you buy a person's life, the price of the next one goes up.

Your link takes me to CBS news for today - so I couldn't see the story. But if the women in my article are the same women as in yours, they had a few things to say about their captors and the Iraq situation. The original article is from the NY Times, but you need a subscription for it, so http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/100304C.shtml is a link to another site that carries the article. Sort of interesting... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What happened to the Italian hostages?

On June 8, 2020, two Italian aid workers, Silvia Romano and Pierluigi Maccalli, who were held captive by an Islamist militant group for over a year, were released and returned to Italy.

2. Who were the Italian hostages and why were they taken?

Silvia Romano, 25, was working for a charity in Kenya when she was abducted in November 2018. Pierluigi Maccalli, 59, was a missionary priest who was taken by armed men from his home in Niger in September 2018. The exact reasons for their abductions are not clear, but it is believed to be for ransom or political motives.

3. How were the Italian hostages released?

The Italian government has not provided details on the exact circumstances of the release, but it is believed that negotiations were involved. Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte thanked the intelligence and security forces for their efforts in securing the release of the hostages.

4. Are there any conditions attached to the release of the Italian hostages?

There is no official confirmation of any conditions being attached to the release of the Italian hostages. However, there are reports that a ransom may have been paid to secure their release.

5. What is the current status of the Italian hostages?

Both Silvia Romano and Pierluigi Maccalli are currently in good health and have been reunited with their families. They are receiving medical and psychological care to help them recover from their traumatic experience. The Italian government has also promised to provide them with any necessary support and assistance.