Intense Itchy Sensation: Causes and Experiences

• Medical
  • Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
In summary, the individual experiences a very intense, all-over body itchiness every month or so, usually when feeling hot and damp. It first occurred during exercise at the age of 15 and may be related to increased blood supply. They are seeking any comments or insights on this issue. It is suggested that it may be an allergic reaction and should be discussed with a doctor, especially in light of other health concerns. It is possible to develop allergies later in life and the individual has noticed a common factor of slight sweating before experiencing the itchiness.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
Randomly every month or so I'll have a minute of a very intense sensation all over my body that is very, very itchy. It happens mostly when I feel hot and damp, either from exercise or in the the shower. The first time it happened was when I was about 15 (4 years ago) and in a karate class, so I was again doing exercise. My body becomes more red than usual so I would assume the increased blood supply under my skin has something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
Mentallic said:
Randomly every month or so I'll have a minute of a very intense sensation all over my body that is very, very itchy. It happens mostly when I feel hot and damp, either from exercise or in the the shower. The first time it happened was when I was about 15 (4 years ago) and in a karate class, so I was again doing exercise. My body becomes more red than usual so I would assume the increased blood supply under my skin has something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

It could be an allergic reaction to something. Was there anything in common between the episodes? Either clothing, or environmental, or something you ate or drank?

This would be a good thing to bring up with your GP when you see him/her about the eye issue... :wink:

berkeman said:
This would be a good thing to bring up with your GP when you see him/her about the eye issue... :wink:
That would be one hell of a topic changer after the doctor tells me I'll be blind indefinitely (god forbid, I need my eyes :frown:).

Is it possible that someone could develop an allergic reaction later in life? Because I never had any of these reactions before that karate class.

Actually it would make sense if it were because of the clothing, but it doesn't explain when I get it in showers. The only factor that I found in common in all cases is that I was slightly sweaty either because of exercise or the bathroom was full of steam from the hot shower.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this problem isn't anything serious... I best focus and worry about my eye...

Mentallic said:
Is it possible that someone could develop an allergic reaction later in life? Because I never had any of these reactions before that karate class.

Actually it would make sense if it were because of the clothing, but it doesn't explain when I get it in showers. The only factor that I found in common in all cases is that I was slightly sweaty either because of exercise or the bathroom was full of steam from the hot shower.

Yes, you can delvelop an allergy at any time in life. And it does sound a bit like the fabric of your karati gi might have been the original issue (or something different used to clean or condition it). As for the hot skin aggrevating the problem, your pores open up when you are hot or taking a hot shower, which could have brought on the reaction if there were still some material on your dry skin previously.

This could be an autoimmune reaction which is directly related to your eye trouble, or it could be chafing. Berkeman's gentle rebuke should be taken very seriously; you need to see a doctor now. It could be that you are in fact, developing a particular allergy which is the cause of both issues, and avoiding that allergen sooner rather than later could be important. They could be unrelated, it could be something neuropathic, or it could be "nothing". Two odd and possibly immune or CNS issues at the same time would have me in a doctor's office so quickly that there would be a "nismar" shaped hole in the air...

Since we don't do diagnoses.. locked.

1. What causes an intense itchy sensation?

There are many potential causes for an intense itchy sensation. Some common reasons include skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, allergies, insect bites, and dry skin. It can also be a side effect of certain medications or a symptom of an underlying health condition.

2. How can I relieve an intense itchy sensation?

The best way to relieve an intense itchy sensation depends on the cause. For temporary relief, you can try using over-the-counter anti-itch creams or lotions, taking an antihistamine, or applying a cold compress. For long-term relief, it is important to address the underlying cause and consult with a healthcare professional.

3. Is an intense itchy sensation contagious?

No, an intense itchy sensation itself is not contagious. However, if it is caused by a contagious skin condition such as scabies or ringworm, it can spread to others through direct contact.

4. Can stress cause an intense itchy sensation?

While stress itself cannot cause an intense itchy sensation, it can worsen existing skin conditions or trigger an allergic reaction, leading to itchiness. Therefore, managing stress levels can help alleviate an intense itchy sensation.

5. When should I see a doctor for an intense itchy sensation?

If the itchiness persists for more than two weeks and is accompanied by other symptoms such as rash, swelling, or fever, it is recommended to see a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. If the itchiness is severe and affecting your daily life, it is also advisable to seek medical attention.