Suffering from Itchy Back After Shower - Seeking Cure

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation focused on a person who experiences itching on their back after taking a shower and seeks a cure. Possible causes were suggested, including hot water, hard water, and allergies to soap or shampoo. One person recommended using Tiger Balm, a product with menthol and camphor that can be found at a chemist. Other suggestions included using natural and sensitive skin products, such as Jason Natural Cosmetics, Aubrey Organics, Burt's Bees, and Cetaphil. However, the person with the issue expressed hesitation in purchasing these products and preferred to simply endure the discomfort. The conversation ended with a humorous exchange about avoiding embarrassment while shopping for these products.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Am i strange? after i have had a shower my back itches like crazy, i am sure
i am not allergic to water, please, please, anyone have a cure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Me too, Tiger Balm is great.

fi said:
Me too, Tiger Balm is great.

Please Fi, what is Tiger balm, can i buy it at a chemists?

Sounds like the water u used is toxic to me.

wolram said:
Am i strange? after i have had a shower my back itches like crazy, i am sure
i am not allergic to water, please, please, anyone have a cure.
Possible causes:

1. Shower water is too hot - and capillaries near surface dilate and affect nerves which causes itching sensation

2. Water is hard - minerals on skin my irritate skin

3. Skin is 'allergic' to soap or shampoo (one or more chemicals in either)

Seriously? I thought everyone had tiger balm lurking somewhere in their bathroom cupboards. I don't ever remember actually buying it, but I'm sure you could get it at a chemist. It has menthol and campher in it, so its a little hot, like dencorub.

Astronuc said:
Possible causes:

1. Shower water is too hot - and capillaries near surface dilate and affect nerves which causes itching sensation

3. Skin is 'allergic' to soap or shampoo (one or more chemicals in either)

1. I only have water warm, to save electricity :biggrin:

2 . We have a electronic water softener, it seems to work as we no longer get scale build up in our kettle

3 Hmm, me allergic to some thing but i will change the soap and
shampoo brand.

Thanks Astro, if this works i wll buy you a beard strimmer :biggrin:

4. Dry skin.

fi said:
Seriously? I thought everyone had tiger balm lurking somewhere in their bathroom cupboards. I don't ever remember actually buying it, but I'm sure you could get it at a chemist. It has menthol and campher in it, so its a little hot, like dencorub.

Honest, I am never ill, bandages and plasters are all i ever buy, if Astro's
idea dosen't work i will buy some, if your idea works i will buy you an old
master.
:biggrin:

Hairy back? Could just be the hairs tickling you as they "fluff" back up as they dry off.

If it's a soap or shampoo allergy, the easiest thing is to just switch brands for a week and see if it goes away.

wolram said:
Honest, I am never ill, bandages and plasters are all i ever buy, if Astro's
idea dosen't work i will buy some, if your idea works i will buy you an old
master.
:biggrin:
That would be a whole lot nicer than a beard strimmer(?), thanks :smile:

Moonbear said:
Hairy back? Could just be the hairs tickling you as they "fluff" back up as they dry off.

If it's a soap or shampoo allergy, the easiest thing is to just switch brands for a week and see if it goes away.

Hairy back, I'm not very hairy thanks for the idea Moon B. :biggrin:

russ_watters said:
4. Dry skin.

Could be but it's not visibly.

fi said:
That would be a whole lot nicer than a beard strimmer(?), thanks :smile:

One of those things with a nylon cord that whizz round at a gazillion rpm. :biggrin:

You might want to try 'natural' products or products for sensitive skin.
I love the smell of Jason Natural Cosmetics Satin Liquid Soap, Glycerine & Rosewater (no surprise). But I don't know how 'natural ' it really is. There's an excellent company in Tampa called Aubrey Organics. You can order from their website; I don't know about international shipping, but a store near you may carry their products. I've tried a lot of natural/organic companies, and this one is the best by far.
Burt's Bees' stuff is usually good too.
Cetaphil is supposed to be very good for sensitive skin - and you'll probably have an easier time getting ahold of it. I wash my hands a lot, and my knuckles tend to get dry, crack, and sometimes bleed during the winter. Other soaps sting and make it worse, but Cetaphil doesn't cause any problems.

I use to have very dry skin. Then my doctor told me to start taking flax seed oil pills. I take 2 a day{morn and night} and no more dry skin. I have even gone back to the soap I like{but gave up cause it was drying} with no problems! :smile:

honestrosewater said:
You might want to try 'natural' products or products for sensitive skin.
I love the smell of Jason Natural Cosmetics Satin Liquid Soap, Glycerine & Rosewater (no surprise). But I don't know how 'natural ' it really is. There's an excellent company in Tampa called Aubrey Organics. You can order from their website; I don't know about international shipping, but a store near you may carry their products. I've tried a lot of natural/organic companies, and this one is the best by far.
Burt's Bees' stuff is usually good too.
Cetaphil is supposed to be very good for sensitive skin - and you'll probably have an easier time getting ahold of it. I wash my hands a lot, and my knuckles tend to get dry, crack, and sometimes bleed during the winter. Other soaps sting and make it worse, but Cetaphil doesn't cause any problems.

But i can not go and buy any of this stuff, the sales staff will think i am a
bit strange, a man in one of those stores, i would rather grit my teeth and
bare it :cry:

wolram said:
But i can not go and buy any of this stuff, the sales staff will think i am a
bit strange, a man in one of those stores, i would rather grit my teeth and
bare it :cry:
Listen and learn, my good man. Just do it my way and avoid any embarrassment. Take a list with you, look very puzzled trying to make out what it says, and when someone offers to help just say "My girlfriend asked me to get this stuff for her and I don't know where to look". Works every time.

Danger said:
Listen and learn, my good man. Just do it my way and avoid any embarrassment. Take a list with you, look very puzzled trying to make out what it says, and when someone offers to help just say "My girlfriend asked me to get this stuff for her and I don't know where to look". Works every time.
I understand :rolleyes: but they will know ,i am a hopeless at deception, if i
wanted razor blades, they are sure to think i really wanted some thing else.

5. Flesh-eating parasites.
6. Republicans :biggrin:

Yes they know...and after you leave, they stand in a group and snicker about it for the rest of the afternoon. Then one of them spots you at a theater, she points, and tells all her friends"thats the guy"...then they ALL laugh at you.
Before you know it, you can't leave the house. Even kindly Mrs. Whats-her-name shakes her head in dismay when you go to get your mail.

BUT..you can order most soaps lotions on line...just be sure to ask for a plain brown paper wrapping.

russ_watters said:
4. Dry skin.
Well along those lines, it could be that the soap/shampoo takes too much of the naturally protective oil or epidermal cells off, and leaves a drier, less protected skin. In which case, a moisturizing cream might help - e.g. alovera based creams or oils, or the Cetaphil that honestrosewater recommended. Afterall, soaps and detergents are designed to facilitate the dissolution of oils.

My wife uses tiger baum on hands and other moisturizing cremes on arms, legs and torso.

Also, taking certain vitamin supplements (I think Vitamin E) or oils might help. A friend used to rub vitamin E on his skin.

Last edited:
hypatia said:
Yes they know...and after you leave, they stand in a group and snicker about it for the rest of the afternoon.
Geez, you're a cynical wench. :tongue: Ignore her, Wooley; she's just trying to propogate the myth than women are more perceptive than they pretend to be.
By the way, packing your showerhead with sodium should eliminate the problem.

russ_watters said:
4. Dry skin.
Russ is correct, the soap you are using is drying out your skin, causing it to itch. I used to have the same problem, but it stopped when I switched to a more moisturizing soap.

Evo said:
Russ is correct, the soap you are using is drying out your skin, causing it to itch. I used to have the same problem, but it stopped when I switched to a more moisturizing soap.
Why just his back then? I think he just needs a nice wolewe to scratch his back for him. :approve:

As one ages (50+), the skin naturally produces less oil, and perhaps a soap one has used for a long time may be removing too much oil.

My wife recommends moisturing along the lines of Evo's recommendation, and also any moisturinzing products (soap or creme) containing shae butter or lanolin. The moisturizer forms a protective layer to keep moisture in the skin (reduced evaporation), and therefore it should be applied while the skin is still moist, rather than waiting until one is completely dry.

Correction to the baum my wife uses - she uses bag baum, not tiger baum. She mentioned a concern about talc (possible carcinogen ?), which is apparently an ingredient in tiger baum. I have no way to verify this concern however.

So use a moisturizing soap, and perhaps a moisturizing cream containing lanolin. Perhaps see a dermatologist if the problem persists.

Astronuc said:
Possible causes:

Tsu has the same problem; hence in part the motive for the water treatment system discussed earlier. :biggrin:

there isn't talc in tiger balm!
it's menthol and camphor and other stuff in a ... well... balm kinda like a very very firm gel/soft wax kinda thing.

it is reminiscent of vicks!

and to put it on dry skin or to "moisturise" hands with it

I have always had tiger balm around - it was the fun thing to do at school - tiger balm - eyes... lmao

but I agree it think it is just the fine hairs everyone has just "fluffing back up" as they dry off.
or he is scrubbing to hard

tiger balm - for the symptomatic relief of muscular aches and pains, sprains, insect bites, itching and headache. Rub gently on affected parts.
Contains menthol, camphor, dementholised mint oil, calput oil, clove oil, paraffin and petrolatum.
No talc, but I did stop using it as a kid for a while because I thought some cruelty to tigers might be involved in its production.
Rest assured its not a particularly girly product - rugby playing friends unashamedly use it in public.
Maybe I should see a doctor too, but it worked so well - My back was itchy every time I hopped out of the shower too. I tried it on my itchy back for the first time about two months ago and it brought quite immediate and strangely ongoing relief - my back hasn't been itchy again.
Good luck with yours.

Another option might be to use a scrub (as in the old times) and somewhat less soap.
This was recommended by a Norwegian doctor who meant that over-usage of soap led to dry skin in addition to being not as effective in cleansing as a vigorous scrubbing.

Danger said:
Geez, you're a cynical wench. :tongue: Ignore her, Wooley; she's just trying to propogate the myth than women are more perceptive than they pretend to be.
By the way, packing your showerhead with sodium should eliminate the problem.

Thanks Danger, but it is all ways women that serve at chemists, and i am sure
what Hypatia said is true, i think i will just suffer the itching if changing my
brand of soap and shampoo doesn't work.

Moonbear said:
Why just his back then? I think he just needs a nice wolewe to scratch his back for him. :approve:
:rofl: :rofl:
Any volunteers?

If no ones looking, a stout tree works well. :smile:

hypatia said:
If no ones looking, a stout tree works well. :smile:

But i really want a wolewe . :biggrin:

*Kia* said:
there isn't talc in tiger balm!
it's menthol and camphor and other stuff in a ... well... balm kinda like a very very firm gel/soft wax kinda thing.
I don't use the stuff myself - so I don't know. I just went with what I was told by my wife. :smile: Even if she is wrong, she is right. :biggrin:

Actually I found -

Tiger Balm is a unique blend of the finest quality essential oils. The active ingredients are camphor, menthol, cajuput oil, mint oil and clove oil. The actions and traditional use is shown in the table below. See packs for full ingredients.

When Tiger Balm is applied to the skin, the rubefacient and analgesic properties provide symptomatic relief from the pain and discomfort associated with the muscular aches and pains of muscle and joints, arthritis, rheumatism and backaches. The active ingredients in camphor and the essential oils in Tiger Balm dilate the peripheral blood vessels and bring blood closer to the skin’s surface. This produces increased circulation and warmth. The increase in blood flow speeds up the healing process. This also increases the temperature of the skin and the sensation of warmth serves as a distraction from the pain. The local analgesic effect reduces the sensation of pain.

And it BALM not BAUM.

And there is Badger Balm as well. But I don't use that either.

I use Zest, Irish Spring or Dove deodorant soaps - and I have naturally oily skin - and I sweat a lot. :biggrin: