Can I create ITER geometry for MCNP using VISEDX and Notepad?

In summary, the radius from the symmetry to center of the plasma is about 6.2 metres and the minor radius is 2 metres. The program the user is using to make the plasma geometry is MCNP5 with the help of VISED. The first insight is that only use vised to view your input file. The second insight is that after a vised crash, delete the vised created files. The third insight is to read the user manual.
Steven Wijaya

Homework Statement

the radius from the symmetry to center of the plasma is about 6.2 metres and the minor radius is 2 metres

Homework Equations

Can you guys help me to make the plasma geometry for MCNP?

The Attempt at a Solution

the softcode of plasma geometry

Physics news on Phys.org
i already attemp to make it but the shape is not too D shape :(

Attachments

• iter.PNG
    iter.PNG
    515 bytes · Views: 613
Steven Wijaya said:

Homework Statement

the radius from the symmetry to center of the plasma is about 6.2 metres and the minor radius is 2 metres

Homework Equations

Can you guys help me to make the plasma geometry for MCNP?

The Attempt at a Solution

the softcode of plasma geometry

Steven Wijaya said:
i already attemp to make it but the shape is not too D shape :(

Welcome to the PF.

What class is this for? What level is the class? What resources are you using to help you with this? Have you seen articles like this:

web.ornl.gov/~5pe/p052.pdf

:smile:

EDIT -- For some reason the link is not working right for me right now. But you should be able to copy it and paste it into the URL box of your browser. Or you can do a Google search on the title of this thread of yours, and click on the ORNL PDF link that is near the top of the first page of search results...

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the respond and the welcome message :)
Actually i am doing my undergraduate thesis with this topic and i have some problem to make the D shape of the plasma in MCNP. The program i used to design the plasma is MCNP5 with the help of VISED.

i have trouble to make this geometry

Attachments

• facet.PNG
    facet.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 596
Have you got the MCNP user manual there? It has a tutorial and several examples on how to use the basic features.

Which version of MCNP are you using? It's all properly registered and licensed right? That is an export controlled code.

Likes berkeman
Thanks for the reply, currently i am using MCNPX with the visual using VISED. i have trouble to make the Faceted geometry of ITER..could you give me insight? thanks

The first insight is, only use vised to view your input file. Don't try to use it to build the input. It will just crash on you constantly and confuse you and be a whole lot of annoyance and not fun. Also, if vised crashes, look for the files it creates. Make sure your file is named something different from the files vised creates. And after a vised crash, delete those vised created files. They are often corrupted during a crash.

After that it all comes down to reading the manual. I would suggest that first you go through the whole tutorial example in the start of the user manual. A bit tedious, I know. But it really will help.

Likes berkeman
thanks for the response sir... yep i make the input at my notepad and to visualize it, i am using VISEDX, i am already make the geometry like the pictures i attached below. the thing is i still can't make the geometry as perfect as the ITER faceted section like below attachment..do you have some advice to use what kind of geometry to use? thanks very much

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 586
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 532
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 585

1. What is ITER geometry at MCNP and why is it important?

ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor) is an international nuclear fusion research and engineering project. MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a widely used computer code for simulating the transport of particles in matter. The ITER geometry at MCNP refers to the detailed modeling of the ITER fusion reactor using the MCNP code. This is important for understanding the behavior of particles in the reactor and predicting its performance.

2. How is the ITER geometry at MCNP modeled?

The ITER geometry at MCNP is modeled using a combination of CAD (computer-aided design) software and the MCNP code. The CAD software is used to create a 3D model of the ITER reactor, including all its components. This model is then converted into a format that can be read by MCNP. The MCNP code is then used to simulate the transport of particles in the reactor geometry.

3. What parameters are considered in the ITER geometry at MCNP modeling?

Several parameters are considered in the ITER geometry at MCNP modeling, including the material compositions and densities of the reactor components, the shape and size of the components, and the neutron and gamma ray sources within the reactor. Additionally, the geometry is divided into different regions to accurately model the complex geometry of the reactor.

4. What are some challenges in modeling the ITER geometry at MCNP?

One of the main challenges in modeling the ITER geometry at MCNP is the complexity of the reactor design. The ITER reactor is a highly complex system with many different components, each with unique shapes and materials. This makes it challenging to accurately model all the details and ensure that the simulation results are reliable. Additionally, the large size of the reactor requires powerful computing resources, making simulations time-consuming and resource-intensive.

5. How is the accuracy of the ITER geometry at MCNP modeling validated?

The accuracy of the ITER geometry at MCNP modeling is validated through a process called benchmarking. This involves comparing the simulation results with experimental data or other simulation codes. Benchmarking is an important step in validating the model and ensuring that the results are reliable. Additionally, the model is continuously updated and improved as new data and experimental results become available.