1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ITER geometry at MCNP

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the radius from the symmetry to center of the plasma is about 6.2 metres and the minor radius is 2 metres

2. Relevant equations
    Can you guys help me to make the plasma geometry for MCNP?

3. The attempt at a solution
    the softcode of plasma geometry

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2
    i already attemp to make it but the shape is not too D shape :(

Attached Files:

• iter.PNG
      iter.PNG
      File size:
      496 bytes
      Views:
  4. May 28, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What class is this for? What level is the class? What resources are you using to help you with this? Have you seen articles like this:

web.ornl.gov/~5pe/p052.pdf

:smile:

EDIT -- For some reason the link is not working right for me right now. But you should be able to copy it and paste it into the URL box of your browser. Or you can do a Google search on the title of this thread of yours, and click on the ORNL PDF link that is near the top of the first page of search results...

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  5. May 28, 2015 #4
    Thank you very much for the respond and the welcome message :)
    Actually i am doing my undergraduate thesis with this topic and i have some problem to make the D shape of the plasma in MCNP. The program i used to design the plasma is MCNP5 with the help of VISED.

6. May 29, 2015 #5
    i have trouble to make this geometry

Attached Files:

7. Jun 2, 2015 #6

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you got the MCNP user manual there? It has a tutorial and several examples on how to use the basic features.

Which version of MCNP are you using? It's all properly registered and licensed right? That is an export controlled code.

8. Jun 2, 2015 #7
    Thanks for the reply, currently i am using MCNPX with the visual using VISED. i have trouble to make the Faceted geometry of ITER..could you give me insight? thanks

9. Jun 3, 2015 #8

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The first insight is, only use vised to view your input file. Don't try to use it to build the input. It will just crash on you constantly and confuse you and be a whole lot of annoyance and not fun. Also, if vised crashes, look for the files it creates. Make sure your file is named something different from the files vised creates. And after a vised crash, delete those vised created files. They are often corrupted during a crash.

After that it all comes down to reading the manual. I would suggest that first you go through the whole tutorial example in the start of the user manual. A bit tedious, I know. But it really will help.

10. Jun 4, 2015 #9
    thanks for the response sir... yep i make the input at my notepad and to visualize it, i am using VISEDX, i am already make the geometry like the pictures i attached below. the thing is i still can't make the geometry as perfect as the ITER faceted section like below attachment..do you have some advice to use what kind of geometry to use? thanks very much

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      1.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      5.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted