1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iterated Integral

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the following double integral. Change order of integration if necessary.

[tex]\int^{1}_{0} \int^{x}_{0} x^2 sin(\Pi x y) dy dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int^{1}_{0} \int^{x}_{0} x^2 sin(\Pi x y) dy dx = -\frac{1}{\Pi}\int^{1}_{0} x cos(\Pi x^2 ) dx[/tex]

Let u = x^2 and du = 2x dx

[tex] - \frac{1}{2 \Pi} \int^{1}_{0} cos (\Pi u) du = -\frac{1}{2 \Pi} \frac{sin (\Pi x^2 )}{\Pi} |^{1}_{0} = - \frac{sin( \Pi)}{2 \Pi^2} = 0[/tex]

but that's wrong. Anyone catch my mistake?

I was also wondering when I'm supposed to change the order of integration. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2
    Hint: What is the value of [tex]\cos(0)[/tex]?

4. Feb 8, 2009 #3
    cos(0) = 1

I see what you meant, let me try it

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  5. Feb 8, 2009 #4
    I was referring to when you integrated the sine with respect to y, and received a cosine. The lower integration limit is 0 so it cos(0) should not vanish.

Edit: I see you discovered what I meant. It took 20+ minutes for this computer to load my reply!

6. Feb 8, 2009 #5
    Took me a little while, but I got it. Thank you.

I was just wondering when the right time to change the order of integration is, since we never covered it in class.

7. Feb 9, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When it is convenient. Certainly if you can't do a double integral in a given order you should try changing the order.

8. Feb 9, 2009 #7
    That certainly makes sense. Thank You.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook