Iterated Integrals Question, using Tonelli and/or Fubini

• Thread starter rainbowed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: + ∫0∞ (-cos(π/2) + cos(0)) e^-axdx]dy= ∫0π/2 [-1/a cos(xu)e^-ax|0∞ + ∫0∞ (0 + 1) e^-axdx]dy= ∫0π/2 [-1/a cos(xu)e^-ax|0∞ + e^-ax|0∞]dy= ∫0π/2 [-1/a cos(xu)e^-ax|0∞ + e^-ax|0∞]dy= ∫0π/2 [-1/a cos(xu)e^-ax|0∞ + 1 -
rainbowed

Homework Statement

Let J0(x)=2/[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]0[itex]\pi[/itex]/2cos(xcos[y])dy. Show that [itex]\int[/itex]0J0(x)e-axdx=[itex]\frac{1}{sqrt(1 +a^2)}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Tonelli and Fubini's theorems

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I'm finding this problem really hard because I've had to teach myself iterated integrals in order to do it, and I'm not sure if I've learned the theory correctly! So far I've tried swapping the integrals (using a combination of Tonelli and Fubini's theorems) which means that I'd have to use integration by parts on e^-ax and cos(xcosy) so that doesn't seem to help... I've also tried not swapping the integrals and using substitution (u=xcosy) but that doesn't make it simpler. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, great job on teaching yourself iterated integrals to tackle this problem! It's definitely not an easy concept to pick up.

To start, let's rewrite J0(x) using the substitution u = cos(y):

J0(x) = 2/π ∫0π/2 cos(xcos[y])dy
= 2/π ∫0π/2 cos(xu)du (since du = -sin(y)dy and when y = 0, u = cos(0) = 1 and when y = π/2, u = cos(π/2) = 0)
= 2/π ∫0π/2 cos(xu)du
= 2/π ∫0π/2 cos(xu)e^-axdx (since we eventually want to integrate with respect to x)

Now, let's use Fubini's theorem to swap the order of integration:

∫0∞J0(x)e^-axdx = ∫0π/2 ∫0∞ cos(xu)e^-axdxdy (since we swapped the order of integration, we are now integrating with respect to x first and then y)

Next, we can use integration by parts to solve this integral. Let u = cos(xu) and dv = e^-axdx. Then du = -usin(xu)dx and v = -1/a e^-ax.

∫0∞J0(x)e^-axdx = ∫0π/2 [uv|0∞ - ∫0∞ vdu]dy
= ∫0π/2 [-1/a cos(xu)e^-ax|0∞ + ∫0∞ (1/a)∫0π/2 sin(xu)du e^-axdx]dy
= ∫0π/2 [-1/a cos(xu)e^-ax|0∞ + ∫0∞ (1/a)∫0π/2 sin(xu)du e^-axdx]dy
= ∫0π/2 [-1/a cos(xu)e^-ax|0∞ + ∫0∞ (1/a) [-cos(xu)|0π/2] e^-axdx]dy
= ∫0π/2 [-1/a cos(xu)e^-ax|0∞

1. What are iterated integrals?

Iterated integrals are a type of integral that involves integrating a function with respect to multiple variables, one at a time. This is often used to calculate volumes, areas, and other properties of multidimensional objects.

2. What is the difference between Tonelli and Fubini's theorem?

Tonelli's theorem and Fubini's theorem are both used to evaluate iterated integrals. Tonelli's theorem is used when the function being integrated is non-negative, while Fubini's theorem can be used for both positive and negative functions.

3. When should Tonelli's theorem be used?

Tonelli's theorem should be used when the function being integrated is non-negative. This means that the function's value is always equal to or greater than zero for all values of the variables being integrated.

4. When should Fubini's theorem be used?

Fubini's theorem can be used when the function being integrated is either positive or negative. This means that the function's value can be either greater than or less than zero for different values of the variables being integrated.

5. What are some applications of iterated integrals?

Iterated integrals have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are commonly used to calculate volumes and surface areas of objects in multiple dimensions, as well as to solve differential equations and calculate probabilities in statistics.