1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iterated Integrals

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the iterated integral [URL]https://webwork.csun.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/e4/1efafbd0e820388c5c73acc695601b1.png[/URL]

2. Relevant equations

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus & Fubini's Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been working on this problem for the last hour and haven't been able to solve it thus far. I integrated the inside of the integral with respect to y from 4 to 3, and then integrated the result from the first integral with respect to x from 2 to 1. In the process, I used substitution to solve the integrals.

The answer I keep on getting is ([tex]1/(4(3x+4)^4)[/tex]) - ([tex]1/(4(3x+3)^4)[/tex]) and solve from x= 2 to 1 which results in a small fractional answer of 7.5674005*10^(-5). But my online program keeps on saying its incorrect.

Can anyone give me a heads up as to where I am going wrong? This is one of the few iterated integrals that is giving me problems right now :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2
    Its better to post your work.
    Here is a start:
    the integration of 1/(3x+y)^2 with respect to y from y=3 to y=4 is :
    (-1/3x+4) - (1/3x+3)
    and this result is easy to integrate with repsect to x, isn't it ?

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3
    I found out what my problem was. I made the stupid mistake of differentiating u^-2 when I should have integrated. Thank you. Your first integration was correct, and that was what was causing my mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook