Circuit Homework: Detect Pattern 11011

In summary, Max0007's homework statement is that he has to detect a pattern once this detected, and then put a 1 in his output z to 1 to the 0 of the pattern.
Max0007

Homework Statement

I have to detect a pattern (11011) once this detected I put a 1 in my ouput Z to 1 to the 0 of the pattern.
Example :

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 20150216_210802.jpg
    20150216_210802.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
How is your input being presented to your detector? As a time-sequence of bits? Or all at once, as a group of bits (like a byte)?

lewando said:
How is your input being presented to your detector? As a time-sequence of bits? Or all at once, as a group of bits (like a byte)?
Well I would have 16 cells like the one I draw. And my circuit would receive a sequence of 16 bits at a time.

Sorry, I am having trouble reading the image and so I don't understand your approach. Okay, so correct me if I am wrong: a 16-bit word is applied to the input of the detector (a functional block with 16 inputs and 16 outputs), then detector outputs a 16-bit word with 1's in the correct place. Is that right?

lewando said:
Sorry, I am having trouble reading the image and so I don't understand your approach. Okay, so correct me if I am wrong: a 16-bit word is applied to the input of the detector (a functional block with 16 inputs and 16 outputs), then detector outputs a 16-bit word with 1's in the correct place. Is that right?
Yes

Max0007 said:
Yes
20150216_210554.jpg
20150216_220810.jpg
20150216_220823.jpg
Better now ?

Thanks for the detailed images, much more readable.

First off, I see a table with xi and yi, then a box with xi as input and zi as output. Is zi the same as yi?
When I see something like that (xi), it makes me think of a stream of bits with an index i that is forever increasing as the stream continues. Are you sure the input is not a serial stream? You are indicating that xi into the box is 1 signal (not 16 signals).

I see the word "state" and think: you are not relying on simple combinational logic, but memory (flip-flops)?.

I see in the 3rd image, the last column, zi, is all zeros.

I honestly don't understand your approach.

If you could spend some time describing with words what you are thinking that would help.

If you have any specific questions please ask them.

Your middle page discusses 0 bits found, 1 bit found, 2 bits found... What about 3 bits, 4 bits, and 5 bits found? Don't you need to "find" all 5 bits of the pattern?

lewando said:
Your middle page discusses 0 bits found, 1 bit found, 2 bits found... What about 3 bits, 4 bits, and 5 bits found? Don't you need to "find" all 5 bits of the pattern?
Yes but I am checking from right to left and left to right. So I only have to check for 2 bits from right to left and 2 bits from left to right and Xi is what my current cell value is = fifth bit.

I had a question buried in post #7. You need to be very specific about the input to your box-- is it a serial stream of bits (going in on 1 wire) or a 16-bit parallel word (going in on 16 wires)? If this cannot be clearly established, then it makes no sense to proceed.

lewando said:
so in my point of view if I have x=1 and other input to 0 then bout(1)/bout(0) would take the value of 01 = which means 1 bit detected.
aout(1)/aout(0) would also take the value of 01.
lewando said:
I had a question buried in post #7. You need to be very specific about the input to your box-- is it a serial stream of bits (going in on 1 wire) or a 16-bit parallel word (going in on 16 wires)? If this cannot be clearly established, then it makes no sense to proceed.
a serial stream of bits (going in on 1 wire)

As an experiment, I will send you a serial stream xi, one bit at a time. Your job is to respond with zi. It will go quickly, I promise. Ready?

x0 = 1

Alright, maybe not so quickly then...

It is approaching midnight in my time zone. Signing off. Willing to pick this up later. In the meantime, you might want to consider multiple alternatives to your approach. There is always more than 1 way to get something done.

Having slept on this, I think it would be better if you get a chance to ask some questions. I extend an apology for not realizing sooner that your original post does not contain a question.

lewando said:
Perhaps Max0007 should clearly explain what is implied by the choice of thread title.

1. What is the purpose of circuit homework for detecting pattern 11011?

The purpose of this circuit homework is to design a circuit that can detect a specific pattern, in this case, the sequence 11011. This can be useful in various applications such as data transmission and error detection.

2. How does the circuit detect the pattern 11011?

The circuit uses a combination of logic gates, specifically AND, OR, and NOT gates, to analyze the input data and determine if it matches the pattern 11011. The gates are connected in a way that only when the input matches the pattern, the output will be high, indicating a successful detection.

3. Can the circuit be modified to detect other patterns?

Yes, the circuit can be modified to detect other patterns by changing the input connections and the configuration of the logic gates. However, for more complex patterns, a larger and more elaborate circuit may be required.

4. What happens if the input data does not match the pattern 11011?

If the input data does not match the pattern, the output of the circuit will be low, indicating an unsuccessful detection. The circuit will then need to be reset or the input data needs to be modified to try again.

5. Can the circuit be used in real-life applications?

Yes, the circuit can be used in real-life applications such as in computer systems, communication systems, and electronic devices. It can be used to ensure the accuracy and integrity of data transmission and to detect errors in data storage.