1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ito's Lemma

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am studying brownian motion and the Black-Scholes formula.

Our problem assumes that
    1. Stock returns follow a normal distribution
    2. Based on #1 the stock price follows a lognormal distribution because y = exp(X) is lognormal if X is normally distributed. Here the stock prices are continuously compounded.

3. So I would expect that the stock return would have an average return of "u" because this is the average value of a normal distribution... but it is actually "u - p^2/2".

p = standard deviation
    http://www.bionicturtle.com/learn/article/lognormal_distribution_part_3_future_stock_price/ [Broken]

From what I am gathering this is because Ito's lemma tells us that...

St = So * Exp ( u - p^2 / 2 )*t + pWt

So why dont the two match?

I am having trouble following the proof and "repercussions" of the ito theorem. I tried wiki for ito's lemma but it is very confusing.

Are there any beginners info that I could use to get a better grip of this concept? Like books or online or can you explain any of this?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?