Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's a car! No - it's a plane!

1. Jan 6, 2007 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Forget flying cars. Meet the drivable plane.

A Massachusetts startup is building the Transition, a two-seat aircraft that, with the press of a button, is ready to rule the road.

http://www.terrafugia.com/

Maybe not as exotic as the jet-man, but pretty cool - and enclosed.

Flying to work - and then driving would be fun.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bah, nobody on the road pays attention to traffic laws as it is... and you want them the power to fly? :eek:

4. Jan 6, 2007 #3
    Once they are in air, the road becomes a much safer place (unless one of those flying-machines happens to fall on your car :eek: )

5. Jan 6, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Watch out for CEOs FUI. :biggrin:

6. Jan 6, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Theres only 8 years to go then we'll all be driving cars like those in back to the future. We also have 8 years in which to enjoy 16 new jaws movies :smile:

Its not particularly stylish and I'm not sure what market they're aiming for frankly, unless its for people who wish to drive to the airport to take off in their small plane.

7. Jan 6, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Two operative words in that by line...Startup company. Start ups have an enormously difficult time getting a regular aircraft to market let alone something like this. While they'll probably suck off the government under the guise of programs like NASA's GAP program, I'll bet my next paycheck that this company is gone in a year. I must say that it is a lot more stylish and up to date than the aerocar.

8. Jan 6, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

It's neat idea, but making that vehicle comply with auto-safety rules while getting it certified as safe to fly will be fraught with interesting twists. One problem regarding road-worthiness is the very small wheels shown in the prototype animation. Highway speeds with small wheels absolutely kill wheel bearings, plus the vehicle will have to be very light in order to fly, making it impossible to handle on the highway with crosswinds. Those folded-up wings would offer crosswinds a LOT of leverage. I'm not trying to be a stick-in-the-mud, but this PhD candidate seems to be ignoring some basic applied engineering problems.

9. Jan 6, 2007 #8
    They did the same thing in the fifties. There were too many compromises that had to be made. That made the whole project too expensive.

10. Jan 6, 2007 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Did anyone check the specs - http://www.terrafugia.com/specsheet.pdf

I imagine it must pass automobile and aircraft certification.

I don't imagine that it would do much on the highway since one would presumably be flying rather than driving at highway speeds.

1500 ft takeoff distance (so its STOL maybe).

Perhaps he could adapt it to water too! Air - land - sea! :cool: :tongue2:

11. Jan 6, 2007 #10
  12. Jan 6, 2007 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Jan 7, 2007 #12
    Every aircraft is full of compromises, but I bet this thing will be a dog in the sky, and probably on the road too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?